1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hybridchucks, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Hybridchucks

Hybridchucks Crossing the Road

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    My hen Gabby is very depressed looking and sick, very lethargic and hardly walks anywhere, her comb looks awful, her poop is very very watery , her abdomen is very hard, I'm not sure what is wrong.
    This is her = IMG_3434.jpg

I brought her into my house (She always perks up when she's at the house.) and her face isn't red like in the photo.

Thanks!
    -Tov

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are several possibilities which you'll have to investigate and/or take action:
    Gabby might have external parasites, eggbound, worms, coccidiosis, or any combination.

3. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    Yes, my dad did think it was egg bound, her abdomen is very swollen..

I bathed her for at least 3 minutes wth dettol and the amount of mites that went down the plug was crazy, so she's mite free now but I still don't know whats wrong...

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Mites suck blood and can cause anemia, then death. Poultry Nutri drench and probiotics will help her recover.
    As far as eggbound goes; soak her in warm water up to her sides for about 20 minutes. The warm water will relax her and help expand her innards so that a stuck egg may easily pass. While she is soaking, massage her underside front to rear. This will encourage her to push the egg along. After soaking, put some olive oil just inside her vent and outside the vent area. This will make it easier for her to lay the egg.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  5. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    Thank you!

6. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    I am also in the UK I don't think we have that brand here (poultry nutri-drench) :idunno

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Look for NetTex Nutri-Drops in your pet or feed store since you are in the UK. You may also be able to order Poultry Nutri-Drench online.

Hybridchucks likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Has she laid eggs recently, and if so were they normal eggs? You said her abdomen was hard. Do you mean her lower belly between her legs? Fluid in the belly(ascites) or a reproductive disorder may be a problem.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Hybridchucks likes this.
  9. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    Okay thank you

2 years and a bit i think, no i don't think she's been laying eggs. Yes, in between her legs.
    Im not sure if it is fluid...

10. Hybridchucks

Jul 13, 2016
    UK
    My Coop
    In that case ill have to give all my hens that, as they all have mites I'm sure. Will i howe to dust them as well? And what dust powder is best?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: