Lethargic Hen

Krazikatlady64

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Armenia, SC
My 3 yr old RIR was laying around the last 2 days. It has been so hot I thought she might be overheated. I don't think she had been eating. She did drink. She is very thin. I give them a frozen tote of ice, fans, they have water and layer feed. Yesterday afternoon I brought her in. She ate soaked feed a little bit of watermelon. She drank watermelon water and electrolytes. She seemed to be doing better.

Today, not eating. I tried scrambled egg, mealworms, soaked feed. I did syringe several mL of electrolytes and sugar water over the coarse of the morning. I am now at a loss as to what to try. I'll keep syringing sugar water and try soaked feed throughout the day. Maybe syringe baby food sweet potatoes, corn and pumpkin? Her breathing is labored with mouth open.

Yesterday's poop was watery and kind of yellow. They were on day 2 of corrid in water. Today diarrhea and her vent is diarrhea wet. I've been cleaning it. Should I try bathing her in epsom salts? Would that be too stressful for her?

Photos of Cherise today. Any help is appreciated.

Added: She has not laid an egg in a long time. I think she has reproductive issues. She has crooked toes. Otherwise she has seemed happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 20230715_100621[1].jpg
    20230715_100621[1].jpg
    891.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230715_100607[1].jpg
    20230715_100607[1].jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 7
When did you last deworm her?
And when did you last get an egg from her?

How does her lower abdomen feel, is it swollen?
Is she able to stand and if so, does her tail point downwards or rather upwards as in your pictures?

I would not bath or soak her at the moment as this could push her over the edge and would only be helpful in case of eggbinding or similar.

She has not been de-wormed in a year. We were starting corrid for 5 days. She was on day 2.
Her last egg was in April. Her abdomen feels normal, not swollen. She does not lay much. Generally her tail has been downward except in the last hour when she is laying like this.

Try deworming her as it would not hurt her but could make all the difference.

At the age of 3 years I doubt that coccidia are the problem as she should have developed a healthy resistance to the strains in your yard, garden and coop.

If after deworming her properly she is not better and still has her tail pointing downwards it could hint to problems of her reproductive tract such as infection of the oviduct, cancer or similar.

Try deworming her as it would not hurt her but could make all the difference.

At the age of 3 years I doubt that coccidia are the problem as she should have developed a healthy resistance to the strains in your yard, garden and coop.

If after deworming her properly she is not better and still has her tail pointing downwards it could hint to problems of her reproductive tract such as infection of the oviduct, cancer or similar.
I'll try the deworming. Thank you!

So sorry you lost her! :hugs

Sadly, comercial laying hybrids often die early due to problems of their reproductive system.

It leaves a hole in your heart to lose one. I am fortunate to have Clemson University for my Ag Vet. I'll take her for a necropsy and see what happened to her.

Thank you for all the kind words. 😢

It leaves a hole in your heart to lose one. I am fortunate to have Clemson University for my Ag Vet. I'll take her for a necropsy and see what happened to her.

Thank you for all the kind words. 😢
Let us know what they find out.

To have a necropsy done will often help to better be able to evaluate the overall situation and overcome the heartache as it oftentimes reveals that there was nothing that could have been done to prevent their death.

Back
Top Bottom