Lethargic Hen

Sorry for your loss. The body should be kept cold, not frozen, until you can get the necropsy done. Wrapping it in 2 clean garbage cans would be good. Many of us do home necropsies as well, when we lose birds. Reproductive disorders, ascites (water belly,) crop or gizzard issues, and cancer can be common in hens. Let us know what the vets say.

Sorry for your loss. The body should be kept cold, not frozen, until you can get the necropsy done. Wrapping it in 2 clean garbage cans would be good. Many of us do home necropsies as well, when we lose birds. Reproductive disorders, ascites (water belly,) crop or gizzard issues, and cancer can be common in hens. Let us know what the vets say.
I'm not ready to take on necropsi. If it's something I did then I need to correct that. If it's genetic or virus, bird flu, it would be good to rule things out too.

I had ahen that did the same thing about a week ago!! I have noticed now that 2 of my 4 Sapphirte Gems has stopped laying and have had poopy n butts and diareah. THey were eating well and had n o fevers sniffles or any thing else. She did have bumblefoot which I was going to treat but she died before I could.
. When my one hen died she was very thin and pale, and it looked like she had had a prolapse of some sort onher reporductive organs.. All have been dewormed before. I thought about Corid too but after reading this it might not work.

I had ahen that did the same thing about a week ago!! I have noticed now that 2 of my 4 Sapphirte Gems has stopped laying and have had poopy n butts and diareah. THey were eating well and had n o fevers sniffles or any thing else. She did have bumblefoot which I was going to treat but she died before I could.
. When my one hen died she was very thin and pale, and it looked like she had had a prolapse of some sort onher reporductive organs.. All have been dewormed before. I thought about Corid too but after reading this it might not work.
Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have an answer yet, but I'll post once I do.

I got the necropsy results back. Cancer, masses on internal organs. So sad. :hit
Here is Cherise. 3 yr old Rhode Island Red. Pretty girl. So talkative. She always gave Sandy a try for the preferred roosting spot. RIP girl.

Attachments

• 20230330_185233.jpg
    20230330_185233.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230602_204202.jpg
    20230602_204202.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230714_190303.jpg
    20230714_190303.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 3
I got the necropsy results back. Cancer, masses on internal organs. So sad. :hit
Thank you for the report. Did they mention anything about the type of cancer suspected? Some types (lymphomas) are caused by viruses (Mareks and Leukosis,) while others affect the oviduct and other organs and can metastasize to other organs. Skin cancers can also be common.

Thank you for the report. Did they mention anything about the type of cancer suspected? Some types (lymphomas) are caused by viruses (Mareks and Leukosis,) while others affect the oviduct and other organs and can metastasize to other organs. Skin cancers can also be common.
They did not mention it, but did say that Friday I should have a full report (7/21/23). I hope to know more today.

Back
Top Bottom