Lethargic hen

canadian flock

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 3, 2013
St. George ON
HI, my hen (Luna) is usually one of the friendliest chickens and always ran up to meet me and always made her distinctive sound\screech. Lately all she has been doing is coming out in the morning and going over to the same corner of her run. She sits down and dozes all day. She doesn't make noises, get up (even for watermelon), and I haven't seen her lay an egg. This has been going on for a few days and all the other chickens are fine. She is eating and drinking although only at night. She also goes in by herself. Possibly important: she is near the top of the pecking order and the other chickens don't pick on her.

She just recently turned 1. The noise making gradually decreased but the dozing and egg laying was more sudden. How do I check if she's eggbound?
Put on a glove with a little KY or olive oil on it and gently check inside the vent to see if you feel an egg. Although with the symptoms you describe I would tend to suspect she's got something else going on. It doesn't sound real good to be honest. You could try a round of antibiotic's if you want to see if that will help. Maybe Tylan 50, 1/2 cc orally per day for 5 days. I would keep up the fluids too with electrolytes like Save-A-Chick, keeping them hydrated is really important and helps them feel better.

sorry it took me so long to reply. She started getting better and forgot about this thread. She started getting worse again. she was lethargic and took her into the house which has AC. She perked up and started eating and drinking. She seems happy but im worried because she is pooping huge amounts of clear watery liquid. Sometimes there is some solids but they are small, stringy, and very loose. She is not eggbound. Not sure what it is.

What has the weather been like there? The same(ish) thing was happening with one of my girls, and I'm almost certain it was due to the heat.

I have never wormed here specifically but my uncle (undergrad in poultry science and a vet in alberta) checked them all when he was visiting recently and said none of them had worms. I have wormer. Is wormer is ok if she doesn't have worms? weather has been hot but they have access to shade and water. There is also a hose trickling into their pen all day. None of the other girls seem to have a problem at all with the heat.

Back
Top Bottom