Lethargic, not eating/drinking, red color in feces.

Peanutthechicken212

In the Brooder
Feb 4, 2018
Hi, so my bantam chicken has been showing that she’s not feeling well in a number of ways. She turned 19 weeks old yesterday, but she laid her first egg on January 27, which is premature from what I can tell. The last time she laid an egg was on January 30, so it’s been 4 days since she’s laid an egg.

It was the day after she laid that last egg that she started acting lethargic. Usually she’s fairly active, likes to jump and run around, but she hasn’t been moving a lot. She mainly sits on her perch or stands around. She has her tail down a lot and has her eyes closed often. The same day, she seemed less interested in eating, but her drinking was normal. She also was pooping a clear, mucus type liquid with some yellow and some red in it.

For the past three days, she’s been like this. Now she doesn’t even really want to drink that much and her appetite is worse. I haven’t seen her poop anything solid or semi-solid, just more of the same color and texture -it’s the red that bothers me. She’s pooping less often now, too.

I’ve been trying to figure out what’s wrong with her. I’m not sure if the red in her feces could just be the shedding of internal lining or if it might be an internal parasite. I thought egg-binding might also be a possible cause, so I probed her and tried to see if I could feel an egg. I wasn’t sure about what I felt. I think I felt something hard inside, but my finger was in a little more than 2inches, so I’m not really sure if it was an egg. Regardless, I’ve given her a few Epsom salt soaks and mixed calcium powder and crushed Tums into her food. Not sure how much that will help since she’s not eating though.

She’s inside where it’s warm and her crate is clean. I think we are going to take her to the vet on Monday, but I’m not sure if that will be soon enough or not. If anyone has any guesses as to what’s wrong with her, please let me know!

Last edited:
Sorry sbout you little bantam pullet. She could be egg bound if you felt something hard. Normally, it would feel soft. It is important to try offering her liquids often with a small cup or measuring spoon held up to her beak. Try wetting a small amount of feed, offer some chopped egg or rinsed canned tuna to get her eating. Hopefully she will pass the egg. If she passes more red, she could possibly have coccidiosis, which is treated with Corid (amprollium or amprol.) Keep her in a moist, warm environment.

Back
Top Bottom