My favorite hen is dying and I don’t want her to suffer.

Katsouth

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2023
Vet thinks she’s on her way out but avian vets in Colorado are a joke.

She’s had non-solid green white clear mucous poop for weeks. Antibiotics doing nothing. She won’t eat or drink now. She won’t even sit.

She is like 8 months. She’s the sweetest. I’m so sad for her I can’t think. I’ve tried everything.

I did an Epsom bath today, and then liquid came out of her beak! She didn’t drink any. Vet thinks if anything it’s something in her abdomen. A mass? Who knows. She’s only laid like 5 eggs in her life.

I’m so heartbroken and don’t want her to suffer. Her beak has been open all day. She’s not roosting: we put her in the nesting box. She’s just standing there.

My poor girl. They said if beak is open tomorrow bring her back. I’m sure they mean to euthanize. If you have last minute tips I’ll do anything.

I had her on amoxicillin vet changed to doxycycline. And a painkiller. She’s so miserable. I feel terrible and so much guilt. I love her so much.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    496.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8163.jpeg
    IMG_8163.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 16

She’s had non-solid green white clear mucous poop for weeks. Antibiotics doing nothing. She won’t eat or drink now. She won’t even sit.

She is like 8 months. She’s the sweetest. I’m so sad for her I can’t think. I’ve tried everything.

I did an Epsom bath today, and then liquid came out of her beak! She didn’t drink any. Vet thinks if anything it’s something in her abdomen. A mass? Who knows. She’s only laid like 5 eggs in her life.

I’m so heartbroken and don’t want her to suffer. Her beak has been open all day. She’s not roosting: we put her in the nesting box. She’s just standing there.

My poor girl. They said if beak is open tomorrow bring her back. I’m sure they mean to euthanize. If you have last minute tips I’ll do anything.

I had her on amoxicillin vet changed to doxycycline. And a painkiller. She’s so miserable. I feel terrible and so much guilt. I love her so much.

:hugsI'm sorry about your pullet.

Did the vet feel a mass in her abdomen?
Did the vet run a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are a problem?

Is her crop emptying overnight?

The poop has a lot of grass/fibrous material in it. What has she been eating and what do you normally feed her? Do you provide grit free choice?
Have you given her Calcium for the soft shelled eggs?

Hard to know what's going on with her, you had a thread back in July about her so this has been going on for a while.

I'd consider treating the crop symptom, get some Calcium into, deworm and treat for Coccidiosis.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I'm so sorry to hear this too. I wish I knew more but I'm glad there are some here that can advise you.

Back
Top Bottom