Lethargic one-day-old chick

Beka

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 10, 2009
Tyne and Wear, UK
The rest seem to be doing fine but this one is just sleeping constantly, he can walk but only seems to do a few steps then falls down again. He hasn't eaten and is only taking water when I force him to. He just did a very watery lime green poop. Any ideas on whats wrong and how I can help him?

His poops don't look like any in the link. They're very light green, almost like an extremely watered down version of the poo expected soon after hatching.

He has gotten slightly worse as the day has gone on. I've been making him drink rehydration solution every hour and have managed to force him to eat a few tiny pieces of scrambled egg.

I don't know if that's the right thing to be doing but it felt wrong to just sit around doing nothing while he was obviously suffering.

Any idea on what is wrong? Is it possible to save him or would it be kinder to let him go?

Don't let him go just yet ;) How old is he? I would suggest, continue watching him and checking in on him. Feed him egg etc. once in awhile but make sure he drinks. Food is important but water it more important. Just watch, wait, feed, water, rest and repeat. He may not be getting enough to eat if his poo is extremely watery but make sure he is still drinking but be careful not to drown him.
Give us updates ;)

oh, she had this:

Influenza (bird flu)

Incidence: common ailment worldwide, but serious outbreaks are rare.

System/organ affected: primarily respiratory, sometimes involves digestive and nervous system as well.

Symptoms: sudden death without signs, or droopiness, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, huddling, ruffled feathers, green diarrhea, etc.

Cause: several strains of type A influenza virus; some are mild while others are lethal. It does not survive long in the environment.

Transmission: highly contagious: contact with infected birds and their body discharges, especially droppings, rodents, feet, shoes, etc.

Prevention: during a local outbreak do not visit flocks or let people visit your flock. Keep birds inside and away from wild birds and common water. You can contact your vet to see if a vaccine is available for the local type of virus.

Treatment: mild form: antibiotic to prevent secondary bacterial infection. Survivors are immune for several months, but are carriers.

Severe form: must be reported to your federal health administration because it runs the risk of causing infection in humans.

Back
Top Bottom