Lethargic polish chicken, red tinged droppings

Skkchickens864

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2019
Hello.

I have a mixed flock of 7 hens and today found two weird looking droppings with a reddish tinge and a jelly like appearance. Not sure which chicken it’s come from but I have one chicken that is acting odd. Buff polish, about 11 weeks old. She is acting lethargic, usually running around with her flock mates, today she is just hanging out in front of the coop door. Her feathers seem puffed out more than normal and usually she is skittish when we try to pick her up, today she doesn’t try to move. Just noticed the behavior today.

They were given some strawberry hulls yesterday and one small tomato, that’s the only thing I could think of to change the shade of the poop.

They free range the back yard and are given dumor chic starter, just added electrolytes to the water. I checked all of the chickens vents and they all look normal. Upon inspection there is nothing out of sorts with this chicken face looks normal no visible wounds, her abdomen feels the way it normally does but I am new to chicken keeping so not totally sure what I’m feeling for. Usually her tail is up and she looks more perky than this.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 8D44349F-510E-4341-A390-F39B4C7D1E4E.jpeg
    8D44349F-510E-4341-A390-F39B4C7D1E4E.jpeg
    825.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 0BF07468-C7A1-4D94-9E93-EC15483702F5.jpeg
    0BF07468-C7A1-4D94-9E93-EC15483702F5.jpeg
    489.4 KB · Views: 11
The strawberries could possibly have caused the reddish tint in their droppings, if they ate enough of them. If they free range in the back yard, it is possible that she got into something she shouldn't have. A lot of weeds are toxic. I would definitely keep an eye on her. Have you tried using the chicken symptom checker tool to get an idea of the possibilities? I find this helpful for that - http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Her feathers seem puffed out more than normal and usually she is skittish when we try to pick her up, today she doesn’t try to move.
That dropping looks regular to me.

I would eliminate the electrolytes from the water if they have vitamins also and use Corid to treat for coccidiosis, as it is a very common cause of the symptoms you describe in that age range. What you are seeing is early signs. It can be deadly fast so act now. Not all strains present as blood in droppings and even when they do not every dropping will be bloody. The dropping you posted is NOT bloody.

If you don't have Corid.. it is in the cattle section at most feed stores.

While it's true that lots of plants can be toxic... they get that label even if it only causes a mild headache or upset stomach type stuff and even if they aren't deadly. Bigger concern would be chemicals like oil and such.

That dropping looks regular to me.

I would eliminate the electrolytes from the water if they have vitamins also and use Corid to treat for coccidiosis, as it is a very common cause of the symptoms you describe in that age range. What you are seeing is early signs. It can be deadly fast so act now. Not all strains present as blood in droppings and even when they do not every dropping will be bloody. The dropping you posted is NOT bloody.

If you don't have Corid.. it is in the cattle section at most feed stores.

While it's true that lots of plants can be toxic... they get that label even if it only causes a mild headache or upset stomach type stuff and even if they aren't deadly. Bigger concern would be chemicals like oil and such.

Thank you. Would corrid be harmful if that isn’t the problem? Would it be smart to treat the whole flock?

The strawberries could possibly have caused the reddish tint in their droppings, if they ate enough of them. If they free range in the back yard, it is possible that she got into something she shouldn't have. A lot of weeds are toxic. I would definitely keep an eye on her. Have you tried using the chicken symptom checker tool to get an idea of the possibilities? I find this helpful for that - http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

Thank you for showing me this symptom checker I didn’t know this existed!

Thank you. Would corrid be harmful if that isn’t the problem? Would it be smart to treat the whole flock?
Great questions! No, it is not harmful to the birds if it isn't the problem. It works by mimicking thiamine in order to starve out and slow the growth of the coccidia. That's why not supplementing vitamins during treatment is key.

It is good to treat everyone, and make sure it is the only source of water. If the lethargic girl is not drinking you may need to direct dose her with a drench dose and use the treatment dose in the waterer.

Or.. you could take a fecal float to the vet and they will tell you your parasite load (including coccidia) and if you need to treat or not. It cost $25 at my vet, but they are a high cost place. I used to pay $18.

Symptom checker tool is a good resource. :thumbsup

Is she able to move if you encourage her? :fl

Great questions! No, it is not harmful to the birds if it isn't the problem. It works by mimicking thiamine in order to starve out and slow the growth of the coccidia. That's why not supplementing vitamins during treatment is key.

It is good to treat everyone, and make sure it is the only source of water. If the lethargic girl is not drinking you may need to direct dose her with a drench dose and use the treatment dose in the waterer.

Or.. you could take a fecal float to the vet and they will tell you your parasite load (including coccidia) and if you need to treat or not. It cost $25 at my vet, but they are a high cost place. I used to pay $18.

Symptom checker tool is a good resource. :thumbsup

Is she able to move if you encourage her? :fl

This evening she was more active, we put them up for a bit to let the dogs run and when they came back out she started out with the flock walking around and scratching like normal but as they ventured further away she went back to the coop. When she came out a bit later she was laying in the middle of the yard, which is odd for her. One of her flock mates won’t leave her side.

Long story short she looks a little better than this morning but still not herself.
I did she her poop and it was mostly the white stuff and water, not much solid. She has been doing some eating and lots of drinking.

She has been doing some eating and lots of drinking.
Maybe she was just cold this morning?

Keep an eye, as usually when think something is off we are correct.

Does not line up with coccidiosis. Next thing I suggest is checking her crop this evening at roost and again in the morning before feed or water is offered. We are checking for crop function here. See if it's flat or puffy or hard. Any smell coming form the mouth? Put her in a crate if you need to in order to handle her in the morning. If you need to research these before hearing back.. sometimes called blocked or sour crop.

Brain storming possibilities here.

Glad to hear she has a friend! :love

Ok so we held off on the corid and were thinking maybe there is a bullying issue with the flock since the two small ones were keeping separate but today she is looking bad. She is laying forward on her chest with her head down on the ground.

I separated her into the container I kept them in as chicks. Have given her the corid in the water. Still no obvious physical symptoms, no odor, crop feels soft. She feels maybe a bit bonier than a few days ago but I could also be thinking that bc I’m worried.

I’m so grateful for the help you all have provided so far. Any more suggestions?

Buff polish, about 11 weeks old. She is acting lethargic, usually running around with her flock mates, today she is just hanging out in front of the coop door. Her feathers seem puffed out more than normal and usually she is skittish when we try to pick her up, today she doesn’t try to move. Just noticed the behavior today.

just added electrolytes to the water.

Ok so we held off on the corid and were thinking maybe there is a bullying issue with the flock since the two small ones were keeping separate but today she is looking bad. She is laying forward on her chest with her head down on the ground.

I separated her into the container I kept them in as chicks. Have given her the corid in the water. Still no obvious physical symptoms, no odor, crop feels soft. She feels maybe a bit bonier than a few days ago but I could also be thinking that bc I’m worried.

I’m so grateful for the help you all have provided so far. Any more suggestions?
Can you post some updated photos of her and her poop?
Crop feels soft - does that mean it feels like there's food in it? Did she eat today?
Earlier this week, did you check the crop several times in the mornings to make sure it was emptying overnight? Drinking lots of water, I would suspect crop issue. The Corid is a good move, I would have also started that.

You mention you think she's been bullied? Did you see it? Any pecking to the head?
Also, how well can she see? Have you tried trimming her feathers away from the eyes to see if there's improvement? That sounds odd, but it's happened before, someone had one wasting away, not eating/drinking - the bird could not see well enough with the feathers over their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom