Lethargic Pullet

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
My 7 month old pullet has been lethargic the past two days.She poops a lot she does drink and eat but usually not that much im currently treating them because they have lice but i didnt find any on her.She is not egg bound we checked.I have corid on hand if she does have cocci.Thanks

Last edited:
Don't treat her for anything until you are sure that she has it. If she did have coccidocis then there would probably be more birds that were showing symptoms. Put her in islolation just to be safe, and keep her as stress free as possible. As long as she is eating and drinking then she isn't in any immeadiate danger of sudden death, so just keep her comfortable and give her a few extra treats
smile.png

Can you take a few fresh droppings from overnight into your local vet for a fecal test to look for worms and cocci? Is there any blood in her droppings? Has she been laying eggs recently? Corid won't harm her if you chose to treat for possible coccidiosis, but it can be hard to determine the cause of those symptoms. Internal laying problems or some other problem may be a possible if she has not be laying.

I cant take her droppings anywhere.There is no Avian vet in Iowa my local veterinarian wont do it either.She stopped laying a week or two ago.No blood she poops a lot and its quite runny

Last edited:
Hm, that's annoying. They should do it just to be nice
hmm.png
My vet probably would, and they don't work with chickens.
If you really want find out what's wrong with her, then you could locate your state vet lab. Typically they'd only do necropsies on dead chickens, but they should have an avain expert who might take a look at her,or at least run a sample
idunno.gif
Here's a link that lists them by state: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/06/chicken-health-poultry-management.html

She is doing better today,She eats and drinks fine so i don't think its cocci anymore.They have had lice for a while and i think they might just be taking a toll on her

That's good. When my chickens hang out with the wild birds to much (
rant.gif
) they tend to get bugs, and then they have good days and bad days. Sounds like she was probably just having a bad day. I hope she continues to recover!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom