Lethargic/shy 2 month old not wanting to eat much

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
So i’ve just gotten two month old chicks last night. When i picked them out, they were very lively and active. Its a 10 minute drive home but they seem to be very stressed from the new environment. This is the first time im getting 1-2 month old chicks (usually older or younger) so bare with me.

They have a brinsea ecoglow. Might not need it anymore but they seem to like being under it. Food and water is also available. Two of the larger chicks seem to be eating but one of them is very very shy and I'm not sure if it is eating, but is drinking. Im scared picking it up will stress it out even more.

The first time they came in, one of the chicks kept spinning around confused. They came in from a very large brooder (room sized) so im guessing the tiny brooder i have might be stressing them out. This morning they have been sleeping a lot so I'm hoping they are just tired.

I have bought some chick vitamins and have some garlic, raw honey, ACV, ect. Anything i could mix up to get them, especially the smallest to perk up?

Heres the vitamin content:
E2A91D97-AFD7-4E79-ADFC-011F7086768A.jpeg

Heres the chick who's sleeping/hiding a lot:
995BE432-D44C-434E-988F-5724B2EC2BBA.jpeg

So i’ve just gotten two month old chicks last night. When i picked them out, they were very lively and active. Its a 10 minute drive home but they seem to be very stressed from the new environment. This is the first time im getting 1-2 month old chicks (usually older or younger) so bare with me.

They have a brinsea ecoglow. Might not need it anymore but they seem to like being under it. Food and water is also available. Two of the larger chicks seem to be eating but one of them is very very shy and I'm not sure if it is eating, but is drinking. Im scared picking it up will stress it out even more.

The first time they came in, one of the chicks kept spinning around confused. They came in from a very large brooder (room sized) so im guessing the tiny brooder i have might be stressing them out. This morning they have been sleeping a lot so I'm hoping they are just tired.

I have bought some chick vitamins and have some garlic, raw honey, ACV, ect. Anything i could mix up to get them, especially the smallest to perk up?

Heres the vitamin content:
View attachment 2942725
Heres the chick who's sleeping/hiding a lot:
View attachment 2942724
What does its poop look like is it because other wont let it eat?if you put it at her beaks does she go for it?

What does its poop look like is it because other wont let it eat?if you put it at her beaks does she go for it?
last time i saw it poop, looked normal, but that was last night. she does go for water, but shes a bit shy with me, and will only poke her head out of the brooder. when im around, not sure if she is eating with me not around though, the problem is she is in the office so im here a lot. i tried giving her food from my hand in front of her and she just stares at it.

Should i try getting her out off the heat plate or take it out or would that make it worse?

She came out to drink, so im hoping she will join the others in eating. I moved the waterer and feeder closer to the heat plate.
F4A05139-AE0B-4DF1-97A5-932E749FFE92.jpeg

good news she is eating a bit. i tried to feel her crop and i do feel something in it, alhough not much. she doesn't seem lethargic or anything just confused. im not sure if this or if a behavior thread would be better. She stares at food for a minute or two and pecks once, i didn't change their food so it shouldn't be a food issue.

She is too 'shy' to push the others around and let them push her around. but seems to be a tad bit dramatic as if another chick preened her she yells. doesn't seem to have a scar or anything there. think shes the lowest in the pecking order back at the original owner. seems distressed like she was seperated from her mother, she was not hen raised though she was hatched in a bator and was in a brooder. im worried her stress might be too much for her.

edit: think the ecoglow is not working... its not warming up unlike last night.

good news she is eating a bit. i tried to feel her crop and i do feel something in it, alhough not much. she doesn't seem lethargic or anything just confused. im not sure if this or if a behavior thread would be better. She stares at food for a minute or two and pecks once, i didn't change their food so it shouldn't be a food issue.

She is too 'shy' to push the others around and let them push her around. but seems to be a tad bit dramatic as if another chick preened her she yells. doesn't seem to have a scar or anything there. think shes the lowest in the pecking order back at the original owner. seems distressed like she was seperated from her mother, she was not hen raised though she was hatched in a bator and was in a brooder. im worried her stress might be too much for her.

edit: think the ecoglow is not working... its not warming up unlike last night.
In a cornor you could put like a dusting feather so she feels like theres a big chick around.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-131346_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-131346_Google.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 1
She's most likely is under the brooder plate not for heat as much as it's cave like qualities that make her feel safe. Being in a new environment is a very big stresser and chickens take time to adjust. Don't put anything in their water, but the poultry vitamins and make sure you have a separate waterer with plain water as well. Drinking it good and if she was healthy before you got her she should be eating just fine in no time. If you notice the others pushing her away from the feeder you will need to put another feeder on the other side of the brooder.

You could let her out to explore. A bit
In a cornor you could put like a dusting feather so she feels like theres a big chick around.
Thank you, i will set up a closed enclosure to let them run around in. I think she is seeking the other chicks for comfort but they usually just ignore her so the feather duster might be a great idea!
I have a 3.5? month old pullet that is recovering from a broken leg and want to introduce them all together before introducing them to the flock. When is a good time to introduce them? The older pullet is starting to walk a bit.

She's most likely is under the brooder plate not for heat as much as it's cave like qualities that make her feel safe. Being in a new environment is a very big stresser and chickens take time to adjust. Don't put anything in their water, but the poultry vitamins and make sure you have a separate waterer with plain water as well. Drinking it good and if she was healthy before you got her she should be eating just fine in no time. If you notice the others pushing her away from the feeder you will need to put another feeder on the other side of the brooder.
I see, maybe thats why she was not touching the plate. Unfortunately it is broken and i am ordering a new one.

Think the vitamins got her to perk up and she is starting to eat! She refused to eat from the feeder for awhile so i had to feed her from my hand until my arm felt like it was going to fall off. She refused to eat even though the feeder was full. She is eating from the feeder now though, after picking up and dropping the food for an hour :ya.

Seems like they were backing up and spinning because of their head puffs. Might need to help them out with it. She is now the most exited chick when i come to the brooder.

Thank you for the suggestion everyone, will try your advices and see which they do well with. Maybe picking up a new feather duster will be usefull for upcoming chicks too.
E9FAFA4E-F688-4D6B-A685-2634F44BF3D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom