Lethargic silkie with injured leg

GiGi123

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
My girl was fine yesterday. Today I found her lying face down at the bottom of the ramp out of the coop. She can't stand on 1 leg, but doesn't cry or complain when I touch it. She won't eat or drink, just lies on her side. She can flap both wings but pretty much just lays there. I'm really worried. Any ideas. I don't even know where to start

My girl was fine yesterday. Today I found her lying face down at the bottom of the ramp out of the coop. She can't stand on 1 leg, but doesn't cry or complain when I touch it. She won't eat or drink, just lies on her side. She can flap both wings but pretty much just lays there. I'm really worried. Any ideas. I don't even know where to start
Do some research on Marek's.

I really hope I'm wrong but it does sound like Marek's disease. with Marek's there are different forms. the eye form which changes the iris to grey the nerve form that causes paralysis and the tummors are also caused from Marek's. symptoms are as follows wing or leg paralysis; stilted gate if walking; rapid weight loss; they can also have enlarged reddened feather follicles in the skin form or white bumps ; tumors inside. Marek's is so common and its a air borne disease. its so common they say to vaccinate the first day of life BEFORE the bird is exposed to the virus.its up to 50% affected with Marek's if not vaccinated. if vaccinated its 5% that will still be affected. but I think vaccination stops the tumors in the 5% of affected flock that still got the disease although vaccinated. I believe there are 6 different strains of the Marek's virus. even vaccinating does not protect against all strains. its shed off the follicles of the feathers and can be carried in the air. you will need to send her for neucropsey to confirm the presence of Marek's. this is very important to do so you will know if the rest of your flock had been exposed. many many members here have gone through this and can offer support and advice regarding Marek's and what to do now and where to go from here. perhaps you can get a blood sample at the vets and have them confirm the presence of Marek's. the very first step is getting a positive diagnosis from a lab. that's extremely important. only a lab can tell you for sure. once you know for certain you can move forward from that point. I wish I could be of more help but that's about all I know of Marek's. I'm sure someone else with more experience can be of more help. at this point you really NEED to get a positive diagnosis from a lab. you can bring her to the vet and get the blood drawn there. this will be important for your flock and future flocks.. that's your first step. then you know for certain what you're dealing with. my prayer is its not Marek's but if it is; you need to know. I hope this was helpful in some way and I'm sure someone who knows more about Marek's can offer support and advice . but do please get the blood test. this way you can move forward knowing what your dealing with. good luck and I'm so very sorry this is happening. if you need a friend I'll be here for you OK . best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom