Lets play guess the gender of the ambiguous silkie mix!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mandalina, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Come on, it will be fun!

UB (as in Ugly Bird) will be 19 weeks tomorrow. I have always somewhat assumed UB was a roo bc at 4weeks the peacomb turned bright red and the legs have always been thick.Now though...I am calling it into question as I caught my main roo mounting UB.
    UB is a mix between a RIR and white silkie.

The pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So let's hear those guesses on the mystery chicken!!!

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    A roo for sure.

3. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    i say roo

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    roo

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Cockerel.

Fascinating. . . Production Red x White = Duckwing coloring. [​IMG]

You SURE that's what his parents are?

6. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Yup, at the time only had 1 silkie and the only roo was my RIR. He looked like a little easter egger chick when he hatched with the chipmunk design and puffy cheekers..then he got ugly LOL

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Exactly. Duckwing. How interesting. Now of course, white can indeed mask just about any genetic makeup, I wonder if the Silkie had duckwing behind it. . . Never heard of such, but who knows. Loads of hatchery silkies aren't even purebred. . . Fascinating though!

8. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    I hatched some silkie crosses and they dont look quite as ugly as yours do lol.
    This is my favorite
    [​IMG]

9. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Quote:Exactly. Duckwing. How interesting. Now of course, white can indeed mask just about any genetic makeup, I wonder if the Silkie had duckwing behind it. . . Never heard of such, but who knows. Loads of hatchery silkies aren't even purebred. . . Fascinating though!

Yeah she is a plain ole hatchery silkie and isnt the most attractive bird ever herself but she has a wonderful personality [​IMG]

And Crash , I think she is pretty! I have another silkie mix I just got who is mixed between a buff silkie mama and a black jersey giant father.She came out this great gold color with black on her tail, and she is toooo cute and very tall LOL!

10. Mandalina

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    And as for UB here, do y'all think his saddle feathers will grow out more to look more manly or is he destined to be goofy looking? My other roo's have all had lovely sadlle feathers that were deff manly by this age and well..UB's arent very impressive to the point I think I have hens that lay eggs who look more male than him somedays LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by