Lets play guess the gender of the ambiguous silkie mix!!!

Mandalina

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Savannah,MO
Come on, it will be fun!

UB (as in Ugly Bird) will be 19 weeks tomorrow. I have always somewhat assumed UB was a roo bc at 4weeks the peacomb turned bright red and the legs have always been thick.Now though...I am calling it into question as I caught my main roo mounting UB.
UB is a mix between a RIR and white silkie.

The pics:
DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1558.jpg

DSCN1560.jpg

DSCN1562.jpg

So let's hear those guesses on the mystery chicken!!!

Cockerel.

Fascinating. . . Production Red x White = Duckwing coloring.
hmm.png

You SURE that's what his parents are?

Yup, at the time only had 1 silkie and the only roo was my RIR. He looked like a little easter egger chick when he hatched with the chipmunk design and puffy cheekers..then he got ugly LOL

Quote:
Exactly. Duckwing. How interesting. Now of course, white can indeed mask just about any genetic makeup, I wonder if the Silkie had duckwing behind it. . . Never heard of such, but who knows. Loads of hatchery silkies aren't even purebred. . . Fascinating though!

Quote:
Exactly. Duckwing. How interesting. Now of course, white can indeed mask just about any genetic makeup, I wonder if the Silkie had duckwing behind it. . . Never heard of such, but who knows. Loads of hatchery silkies aren't even purebred. . . Fascinating though!

Yeah she is a plain ole hatchery silkie and isnt the most attractive bird ever herself but she has a wonderful personality
big_smile.png

And Crash , I think she is pretty! I have another silkie mix I just got who is mixed between a buff silkie mama and a black jersey giant father.She came out this great gold color with black on her tail, and she is toooo cute and very tall LOL!

And as for UB here, do y'all think his saddle feathers will grow out more to look more manly or is he destined to be goofy looking? My other roo's have all had lovely sadlle feathers that were deff manly by this age and well..UB's arent very impressive to the point I think I have hens that lay eggs who look more male than him somedays LOL.

Back
Top Bottom