Lets see your DIY no spill feeders and creative waterers!

So I have 6 hens and a rooster. I made one of these with 3 openings because my rooster would not stop scratching the food out of the old feeder onto the coop floor and wasting it, because it seems that once it hits the ground, its not good enough for any of them. He is particularly not happy with the new feeder because he can't scratch at the food. I swear they are allmlosin weight. I have put food in the holes multiple times and they eat the food in the hole and then walk away. So I took every chicken one by one and literally shoved their heads into the holes to show them where the food was. Traumatizing? Maybe. Some started eating right away. Others ran away to the other side of the pen. I don't want to give them back the other feeder because I can't afford them wasting food. In addition to all of this trauma, my rooster now has to get use to wearing a crow collar or the neighbors will make us rid of him. He is too young and too good of a boy to kill. Any ideas besides moving farther out into the country which I cant afford either.

So I have 6 hens and a rooster. I made one of these with 3 openings because my rooster would not stop scratching the food out of the old feeder onto the coop floor and wasting it, because it seems that once it hits the ground, its not good enough for any of them. He is particularly not happy with the new feeder because he can't scratch at the food. I swear they are allmlosin weight. I have put food in the holes multiple times and they eat the food in the hole and then walk away. So I took every chicken one by one and literally shoved their heads into the holes to show them where the food was. Traumatizing? Maybe. Some started eating right away. Others ran away to the other side of the pen. I don't want to give them back the other feeder because I can't afford them wasting food. In addition to all of this trauma, my rooster now has to get use to wearing a crow collar or the neighbors will make us rid of him. He is too young and too good of a boy to kill. Any ideas besides moving farther out into the country which I cant afford either.
Make sure feeder is where the old one was and you have done your part now let the chickens do theirs, because when they get hungry enough they will feed them selves. I put in 6 feed stations is because they don't share well and they like to feed at the same time. It got rid of that problem of crowding up the holes/feed station's. Let us know how it goes, I promise you they won't go hungry. You showed them where the Feed is and you can put out a little more feed down,but this will only prolongs the problem out.
1f60d.png
1f414.png

Hi I just got to your post. Here is my water system it's a automatic dog watering dish with a valve so you can set the height of the water, I got it at TSC for $13.00 and another $10.00 for the hookup valves on the water line. For the feeder I got the idea from watching what other people come up with so here is mine. I had bought a feed container $35.00 it holds about 50lbs. of grain, and it's on wheels.The Feeder was fixed with 6 = 3" Sweep elbows at the bottom of the container and they cost $5.00 each. They were set at 1/2" space from bottom of container and we smooth off the rough edges on the elbows such as the emblems and the cuts. The chickens seem to feed out of it just fine and I take a little fine stick and clean out the wood chip that seem to get in it and make sure that the grain is flowing OK. They clean up any spills. It has rained and the over hang of the coupling and the slight tilt of the sides of the container seems to help keep out the water. I took it off of the wheels and up it on some blocks so it is stationary. I have small Bantams and the 3" elbows is plenty big for them.

Chicken Life, this is absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing this along with all the great step by step photos. I am totally using the feeder idea for sure! What inch PVC elbow did you use?

Question about the waterer: It almost looks like from the picture that you have the waterer coming directly from a well. Is that so? I'm trying to figure out a good water system that does not involve dragging multiple hose lengths from our house to the coop. Our well however is only 15 feet from the coop. Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom