Lets talk about goats!

Pics
This breed also has TWO breeding seasons, which is rare for goats, (most only have one) it's the Spring and Summer. So if you miss one breeding season you just wait for the second instead of having too wait for a year.

Nigerian Dwarves and Pygmy goats actually have a year round breeding season, not two breeding seasons. They go into heat at regular intervals during the entire year, unlike many other breeds which only experience heat cycles in the fall.

Even better! lol.
big_smile.png

Even better! lol.
big_smile.png
Aye, it is most excellent, as it makes it easier to stagger does in milk.

Their heat cycles do tend to be a little stronger and more pronounced in the fall. And the Nigerian bucks get more odoriferous in the fall as well. But any time of the year is "go time" for a Nigerian Dwarf of Pygmy.

So I want goats and I'm wondering what breed to get I want something smaller because I only live on an acre but I also want milk so a nice milking one would be good. I also live n Minnesota so a good hardy breed would be nice too.

I also want to know where to buy, I live in the Anoka County area in Minnesota.

I also want to know because I only want two goats if I could get two females and then go through the trouble to get them breed or if I should just get a male and a female.
Thank you so much for any reply!
Definitely get 2 females or a female and a wether (fixed male). Having a buck around will depart a goat flavor to your milk. We are partial to Nubians but I also like Alpines and Toggenbergs a lot. I found the large goats where calmer, not that a goat is a calm animal. My experience with pygmy goats was interesting. They were too busy for me.

Last edited:
Definitely get 2 females or a female and a wether (fixed male). Having a buck around will depart a goat flavor to your milk. We are partial to Nubians but I also like Alpines and Toggenbergs a lot. I found the large goats where calmer, not that a goat is a calm animal. My experience with pygmy goats was interesting. They were too busy for me.
X2

Back
Top Bottom