Lets talk about goats!

Pics
Well, goat fans, with any luck I'll be able to post pics of kids soon. My doe lost her ligaments today, so hopefully she'll kid by morning.
fl.gif
I just love her little half-smile she's giving me in this pic!

Yayyy! Best wishes to mommy and kids Kathryn. Please take lots of pics.

Thanks! Well, good news and bad news. Good news is she popped out two adorable little doelings.
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
clap.gif
The bad news is, her milk hasn't come in, so I had to bring them in and bottle feed them. I know how and everything, but it's the first time I've actually had to do it, so it'll be quite the adventure for me!
th.gif

Just keep milking her. Chances are she will have milk. Sometimes you will get just one squirt the first milking, and then two the next. Before you know it she will have a full udder.

Awwww!!!
Congrats. They are adorable. Will her milk come in or will you bottle feed until weaned?
I'm hoping her milk will come in, but I'm prepared to bottle feed until weaned if necessary.

Just keep milking her. Chances are she will have milk. Sometimes you will get just one squirt the first milking, and then two the next. Before you know it she will have a full udder.
Thanks! I've been milking her to get as much fresh colostrum as possible into the babies and I intend to keep at it. Here's hoping she'll have more soon!
fl.gif

I would highly recommend leaving babies with mom and supplementing. If you keep them in the house, you have bottle babies for sure. Them nursing her will help release hormones that help her to clean properly and encourage milk let down. How many ounces had each kid had so far?

I would highly recommend leaving babies with mom and supplementing. If you keep them in the house, you have bottle babies for sure. Them nursing her will help release hormones that help her to clean properly and encourage milk let down. How many ounces had each kid had so far?

I think they're bottle babies at this point. Their mom still doesn't have much milk. This morning I only got about 3 oz. out of her. The kids have only had about 3 oz each of her fresh colostrum including this mornings, but yesterday they were getting 1-2 oz every 2 hours (mix of prev. frozen and what I could get from their mom), today they're eating a bit more, so all is well. They are much stronger and more active today already. Normal bowl movements, so everything is looking good so far.

Anyone have any idea what I should name the little black doe?

Last edited:
Kathryn

What breed of goats are they? Sorry if this is a silly question but I am very new to goats. I hope to get a couple of dairy goats when our very small barn is built. I see you are in Ontario. What about Inkspot for the black one. They are both so adorable.

Back
Top Bottom