Lets talk about goats!

I'm not a vet but that sounds a little alarmist-y on his part. He doesn't even know what it is yet!

If it's a weird place for CL then it sounds like a great chance it might not be it! And CL is certainly not a death sentence, especially being that you're not planning on breeding goats, just keeping the two boys you have.

He calmed down with it after testing his blood. Ford is really tiny and at the moment looks kinda fragile but his blood work wasn't horrible. Vet was worried his kidneys or liver might be going bad but looks okay. A little off. His white count is lower then it should be and his body is stressed. Have medicine I have to inject into him and I have to get his calorie intake up. Getting tested for cl so we'll see. Ugh

Um it's not a weird place at all. Your vet seems a little off. Don't put him down unless he is suffering and it doesn't appear he is.

No we're not. Once we got blood work hes doing okay. He said it wasn't over the lymph nodes? Hopefully he'll be okay. I think he was giving me worse case. I told him I understood what cl is and what it means but we only have the two and we would deal with it. We'll see. The antibiotics and stuff should help. Hes never been energetic and I hopethis helps. Any tips for uping his calories? He said I could let him have a lot of sweet feed till hes feeling better. Anything else? And they haven't touched the minerals? I have them by food. Should I try to feed them some from my hand?

I never feed my goats sweet feed cause what a lot of people and vets don't know is they can founder like a horse. I have had a couple foundered goats and it's painful! I would feed alfalfa pellets with their hay, and you can do shredded beet pulp. You do t need to soak beer pulp for goats only horses. It's high in apprise and will add weight. I also feed whole oats, calf manna, and a 16% pellet.

I give mine 2 parts barley, 2 parts crimped oats, one part black oil sunflower seeds, one part calf manna(vitamin). I tried goat feed they didn't care to much for it but the devore the mixture the protien is 14%. I also give minerals but the calf manna has plenty. I also give them alfalfa which has more nurtiance such as calcium which helps with growth (for males stop feed at six months to much calcium can sterlize them)

I give mine 2 parts barley, 2 parts crimped oats, one part black oil sunflower seeds, one part calf manna(vitamin). I tried goat feed they didn't care to much for it but the devore the mixture the protien is 14%. I also give minerals but the calf manna has plenty. I also give them alfalfa which has more nurtiance such as calcium which helps with growth (for males stop feed at six months to much calcium can sterlize them)

Calcium doesn't sterilize them but causes urinary calculi but you can feed ammonium chloride to bucks and wethers to prevent this. I myself just dont feed alfalfa to the boys. I found mine didn't like goat feed as well so I started feeding sheep pellets. I of course have to give copper bolouses every three months. Copper is very important to goats and if they are deficient, it leads to a lot of health issues but you can over supplement and they can get copper toxicity. Do a little research especially for your area and talk to a good vet to find out how much and how often.

Calcium doesn't sterilize them but causes urinary calculi but you can feed ammonium chloride to bucks and wethers to prevent this. I myself just dont feed alfalfa to the boys. I found mine didn't like goat feed as well so I started feeding sheep pellets. I of course have to give copper bolouses every three months. Copper is very important to goats and if they are deficient, it leads to a lot of health issues but you can over supplement and they can get copper toxicity. Do a little research especially for your area and talk to a good vet to find out how much and how often.
that what alot of previous owners told me about the calcium...*shrugs* I don't believe we have copper in this area but mine are still pretty young I am waiting to give it to them when they hit six months.sorry wrong word kinda hard to focus today

Last edited:
Apparently the goat minneral pro I have has copper at min 1350ppm po which I didn't notice till you just said something how much copper do they need. And should I wait till they are six months then to give tbat.. Once again previous owners said not to give copper till older.. So many things to learn

Last edited:
He calmed down with it after testing his blood. Ford is really tiny and at the moment looks kinda fragile but his blood work wasn't horrible. Vet was worried his kidneys or liver might be going bad but looks okay. A little off. His white count is lower then it should be and his body is stressed. Have medicine I have to inject into him and I have to get his calorie intake up. Getting tested for cl so we'll see. Ugh

Poor guy :( and poor you!!! It's time for those little dudes to just get healthy and let you take a break from the vet!

Good luck!! I hope he perks up the CL is negative!

Back
Top Bottom