Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Pics
Took some pics of the F1 rooster, I had to catch him and put a new leg band on.

Could someone help me sex these Golden Cuckoo Marans chicks #3 & #5? Thanks!

Chick #3: Update: Golden Cuckoo Marans. Possibly a female despite the white spot on the head? It has mainly dark body but no distinct chipmunk stripes.

Chick #5: Update: Golden Cuckoo Marans. Male?

Top view of all chicks: (bottom row chicks= the one on the top right by the waterer and the one by the thermometer are the Golden Cuckoo Marans).

Last edited:
The males should be a lighter color than the females if they are double barred. That being said, mine start growing combs at 2 weeks old, so I don't really guesd until then.

This guy is a male compared to the dark females around him. They were a few days old here:

Mine are also ER (birchen based, so they don't have chipmunk stripes)

@NewHen Golden Cuckoo Marans are not always easy to sex. Mine did not have the typical chipmonk type pattern. Here is a photo of mine at a few

days and another more recent one. All of mine looked like males if you go by the coloring, but they all ended up being females!!

@NewHen Golden Cuckoo Marans are not always easy to sex. Mine did not have the typical chipmonk type pattern. Here is a photo of mine at a few

days and another more recent one. All of mine looked like males if you go by the coloring, but they all ended up being females!!

Thanks! My #2 chick looks a lot like your female chick above. She has a blurry whitish dot, but her down is very brown and it's dark down her back. My #5 chick though has a pretty distinct white spot and has a lot pattern over ?his back but the center stripe is cream not brownish. #5's coloring is also much grayer than my #2.

All three of my Golden Cuckoo Maran's are laying eggs now! They started laying between 22-23 weeks. It's so neat that they are all the same breed and age and all lay such unique looking eggs. What's funny is that the smallest of the three laid the biggest egg! It won't even fit in a regular egg crate. It was her first egg too! Now I'm waiting for my Olive Egger, 23 weeks, to lay her first egg. She has been squatting when I walk up to her for the past week and has been visiting the nest box squawking today. I'm so anxious to see what color egg she ends up laying!

All three of my Golden Cuckoo Maran's are laying eggs now! They started laying between 22-23 weeks. It's so neat that they are all the same breed and age and all lay such unique looking eggs. What's funny is that the smallest of the three laid the biggest egg! It won't even fit in a regular egg crate. It was her first egg too! Now I'm waiting for my Olive Egger, 23 weeks, to lay her first egg. She has been squatting when I walk up to her for the past week and has been visiting the nest box squawking today. I'm so anxious to see what color egg she ends up laying!
You have some beautiful girls there!

Hi Borbius 18 ,how are you I was absent for a while .
I see you have a good GCM flock now they are older and filled up .the colour on the rooster is stuning.
the hen are absolutely gorgeous

i see you managed to get a silver double barred too early feathering type too . you are on the top of it . BRAVO.

I sse a lot nice GCM with nice egg I have to read them all I m behind a lot readin to do

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom