Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

Hi! I'm looking for some hatching eggs for GCMs and wonder if anyone on this thread is selling and shipping hatching eggs, or could recommend a source. I ordered eggs a few years ago from a place in Texas, but now I can't remember the name. Despite a few mishaps, a broody hen hatched out 3 of the eggs - all roosters, but they were beautiful! The originals are long gone now, and I've never had GCM hens. I'm thinking of trying again this year. If anyone has eggs to sell from nice GCMs, please reply or message me. I actually would prefer clean-legged birds over feathered legs, if possible. Many thanks - Jill

Hi!  I'm looking for some hatching eggs for GCMs and wonder if anyone on this thread is selling and shipping hatching eggs, or could recommend a source.  I ordered eggs a few years ago from a place in Texas, but now I can't remember the name.  Despite a few mishaps, a broody hen hatched out 3 of the eggs - all roosters, but they were beautiful!  The originals are long gone now, and I've never had GCM hens.  I'm thinking of trying again this year.  If anyone has eggs to sell from nice GCMs, please reply or message me.  I actually would prefer clean-legged birds over feathered legs, if possible.  Many thanks - Jill

I've got eggs. Right now I have an F0 rooster from my line over 1 f1 hen and 2 f2s. All golden cuckoos. I also have 2 unrelated blue copper and 1 splash copper in the same pen. I don't mind sending you some if you pay shipping. Im in Tn, so kinda close to FL.

Mine are ER based, so genetically barred black coppers. The blue and splashes in the pen will give blue barred golden cuckoos. Mine are french standards with feathered legs.

My line carries recessive white. The F0 and F1 carry it. I haven't test mated the F2s for it though. The f0 rooster also carries something that produces the partridge coloration as shown above in cree's post. As far as I know I removed the f1 carrier hen, but havent test mated the f2s for it. F0 rooster has a small sprig, less than 1/8 of an inch, has some partially white wing feathers (1st half are barred) as well as some partially white tail feathers. Half the feather is barred though, so not solid white.

Hens are all good standard wise.

I've been selecting for dark hens and roosters with light golden hackles.

Last edited:
Wow - thanks for all the info, photos of your lovely birds, and offer to ship eggs! I need to do some studying to follow all the breeding information you volunteered! For now, I'm going to wait and see if I can find clean-legged birds, because my birds are out and about during the day and feathered legs get pretty untidy during wet weather. But I really want to get GCMs again, so it's great to know you are out there and willing to ship eggs to me!

So for just a quick reminder, is light golden/yellow the preferred standard of perfection for the GCM roosters? Or is it dark/ish golden? Morbius, I have time to incubate some eggs now, so if you could ever send some my way, I would be glad! If you ever have the time, just send me a shipping quote!

here some of my F1 blue golden cuckoo . the cuckoo on the cockerels is easy to see but not on the pullet ,just few spots . need few generation to breed a proper blue golden cuckoo . I have a lot to choose from here the photos very hard to see the barring , because they still dark cuckoo NOT a double barred yet F1 blue cuckoo Golden/silver single barred his younger brother. same body type this guys going to help me recreate the Splash Silver cuckoo ,almost white bird .than from them I ll recreate a pure White marans by adding to them the dominant white gene ( I already have and the recessive White gene ( I have as well ) long way ,about 5 years project. chooks man
This is a blue single barred golden cuckoo F1:
He is from some of my dark eggs from a blue copper hen:
He will go along nicely with this pullet I posted above:

Last edited:
So for just a quick reminder, is light golden/yellow the preferred standard of perfection for the GCM roosters? Or is it dark/ish golden? Morbius, I have time to incubate some eggs now, so if you could ever send some my way, I would be glad! If you ever have the time, just send me a shipping quote!

Are you wanting only black barred golden cuckoos? I've also got some darker eggs from a GCM over a blue copper hen. Half will be black single barred and half blue single barred. I can put a few of those in with the GCMs if you want some.

I think it would be really interesting to have some of them thrown in with the GCMs! I am glad I reread your posts and saw that they are French feather-legged as I want to work on those instead of the clean legged ones.

Posting to all Marans threads. Seeking a high quality pure Fugate Cuckoo Marans studcock to head flock of same.
This is for a very good friend of mine.
2-3 yrs. Old ok. Must be virile and gentle with hens. Need clean shanks. From dark egg laying dam. prefer NPIP.
Not a DQ if not NPIP. Please feel free to send this email around the net. Please reply to [email protected]
Thanks,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom