Let's talk Golden Cuckoo Marans!

What varieties are you working with?
So, are the color patterns that are discovered just different combinations of the existing genes? I'll admit that I'm ignorant on that aspect.

What would be the original/base marans? I would think that other breeds would be needed to bring in different E loci mutations. It isn't genetically possible for different chicken 'breeds' to evolve/develop the same mutations concurrently.

I'm not arguing that it's ok, but that from a genetic standpoint most breeds having the same mutations without crossing unless they were present in the original jungle fowl isn't possible. If that were true, there would be different colorations of the jungle fowl, and they would get selected out over the most beneficial one, thus eliminating the genes.

I'm pretty sure my F0 rooster wasn't pure either. Probably ER/eB and carrying the recessive white. The eB is an odd e loci for a barred bird to carry, especially around here. There are no brown based marans that I'm aware of in this area, which indicates my line started off tainted. This is probably the reason that I'm seeing the recessive traits showing.

I plan on working with strictly marans for this line, hopefully approaching more than 98.5%.

Don't take this as an insult, I'm really curious and don't know the answer to what seems confusing to me.

like I said my friend .98.5% is consider pure strain ,just genetically speaking will behave different that all .
most of us are working maybe with a impure strain ,that why we don t need to ad fuel the fire .

Yes you are correct .most of the pattern genes are within the marans breeds except few like lacing gene Pg .Lavender gene Lav and few more . Columbian gene Co

let say the barring gene B if is associated with the E family will produce the solid cuckoo.
the same gene B associated with the ER with give the silver or Golden cuckoo ( must have hackle and lancet plus the shoulder )
if we put the B gene on the e+ we get the Crele

Db Dark Brown gene restrictor with gold s on Ewh based will give a Black tail Buff
a same gene Db with a Silver S on a Ewh based will give the White Hermine ( Columbian .

Db + B + MI on ER will give a Quail pattern

all this genes and combination are within the marans genome .need to be revealed that all .

chooks man

PS = a mutation can happen any time within any strain pure or impure . low of nature .
it is up to us to breed it true or breed it out .

like I said my friend .98.5% is consider pure strain ,just genetically speaking will behave different that all .
most of us are working maybe with a impure strain ,that why we don t need to ad fuel the fire .

Yes you are correct .most of the pattern genes are within the marans breeds except few like lacing gene Pg .Lavender gene Lav and few more . Columbian gene Co

let say the barring gene B if is associated with the E family will produce the solid cuckoo.
the same gene B associated with the ER with give the silver or Golden cuckoo ( must have hackle and lancet plus the shoulder )
if we put the B gene on the e+ we get the Crele

Db Dark Brown gene restrictor with gold s on Ewh based will give a Black tail Buff
a same gene Db with a Silver S on a Ewh based will give the White Hermine ( Columbian .

Db + B + MI on ER will give a Quail pattern

all this genes and combination are within the marans genome .need to be revealed that all .

chooks man

PS = a mutation can happen any time within any strain pure or impure . low of nature .
it is up to us to breed it true or breed it out .

Ok, that makes sense to me. Realizing these new colors/patters comes from reorganizing the genes already present.

Thanks for explaining that to me.

here the list of the marans varieties I m developing or working on as well.
ER /ER family genetic =
Black copper
Blue copper
Splash copper
Birchen
Blue Birchen
Silver cuckoo
Golden cuckoo
Golden Quail
Silver Quail

Ewh /Ewh =
Wheten
Blue Wheaten
Silver Wheaten
Black tail buff
Blue Tail buff
Black tail Red
Columbian.
Golden Golden cuckoo

e+ /e+ =
Golden Salmon
Silver Salmon
Golden Crele
Silver Crele
Marans Crionee ( like the golden one come out of your crossing . partridge type on e+ locus.

chooks man

PS = a lot of work and pens .10 years project . 4 years has passed , getting great result , some varieties are more advanced than other.

here the list of the marans varieties I m developing or working on as well.
ER /ER family genetic =
Black copper
Blue copper
Splash copper
Birchen
Blue Birchen
Silver cuckoo
Golden cuckoo
Golden Quail
Silver Quail

Ewh /Ewh =
Wheten
Blue Wheaten
Silver Wheaten
Black tail buff
Blue Tail buff
Black tail Red
Columbian.
Golden Golden cuckoo

e+ /e+ =
Golden Salmon
Silver Salmon
Golden Crele
Silver Crele
Marans Crionee ( like the golden one come out of your crossing . partridge type on e+ locus.

chooks man

PS = a lot of work and pens .10 years project . 4 years has passed , getting great result , some varieties are more advanced than other.

How many pens do you have!?!​

you are alright .doesn t look too bad ,guess just has too many points that all .

chooks man

I ended up deciding to cull this guy. I'm pen limited. He was showing blue splotches in his hackles. I caught him and each hackle feather was blue on the bottom and golden on the tips.
2017-12-02 20.24.31.jpg

This is the blue barred golden cuckoo that will be working with this spring. Hopefully he'll grow into his tail, its a bit high and straight instead of at a 45. How would a double barred blue appear? He seems light to begin with, would it be even lighter?
2017-12-02 20.31.44.jpg
2017-12-02 20.31.13.jpg
2017-12-02 20.24.07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom