• Dont need 2 males

• Nesting box will b fine

• Nope need a different nesting box

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pekin747

Songster
Feb 20, 2019
Ireland
So I recently bought a trio of mandarins and I've a few questions about them that I cant seem to find

I bought 1 ordinary Male u know the one u picture when u hear the words manderin ducks
And I bought 2 blonde females as I'm not a huge fan of the colours of the ordinary females
will they mate in trios the guy I bought them off said they would but others said they wont I've no problem getting another Male if they r better of int the pairs
I was chatting to a guy who used to keep them and I wasnt actually aware how important water is to them he said they wont breed without a swimming area I have a pool pond it's not big but the 3 can sit in it and turn and move about
Now nesting areas I thought a plastic container with a hole and lid on it would do them fine something that the other birds rnt able to get in but then I was told this wouldnt work it had to wooden it can hold about 30L of water so maybe it's to big? Anyone able to help me hear that would b great
I've also been thinking of getting sma fish for their pond I'll obviously have to keep them separate for a few weeks to make sure the fish r healthy but I think if I had a small system going and they enjoy the fish it wouldnt be so bad it could lass the time cause they seem to love going under the water and going back and forth under the water
Maybe this isnt the right thing and I should not do it please let me know what u think
And when it comes to breeding season I cant remember what month I was told around April I think should I separate them if I need to different pairs? Or should I always keep them separate if I need the second Male?
I'm new to manderins so please go light on me if I said anything stupid
And any info on them is much appreciated
Thanx
Pekin747

I don't personally know anything at all about Mandarins, except that they're not at all a domesticated animal. Ergo, they've not really developed the strengths and behaviours that make things like chickens and cats such easy keepers. If you're just starting with ducks, it might be wise to consider a different breed.

I understand @Pyxis got a pair last spring.
@cjexotic is on here sporadically; she might be able to tell you some things if she sees this.

They need nesting boxes mounted up off the ground. Like those used for Wood Ducks here in the US. Aprx 2-3 feet off the ground is fine. The male may mate both hens but is more likely to pic one and stick to her. If it were me I'd get another male.
1.jpg

DuckBoxJpeg.jpg

I don't personally know anything at all about Mandarins, except that they're not at all a domesticated animal. Ergo, they've not really developed the strengths and behaviours that make things like chickens and cats such easy keepers. If you're just starting with ducks, it might be wise to consider a different breed.

@cjexotic is on here sporadically; she might be able to tell you some things if she sees this.
Hi,
What would you like to know about them? I have raised them for years.

Ooo pics please! I’m thinking about getting some as they are so beautiful.
I'll get u some this eve now they have settled in with my runners and bramhas

I've kept ducks for years just not ones like these but I'm getting used to them and they r becoming slightly more used to me they used to jump and roll over when I went near them now they just run around me or go straight for the pond
They need nesting boxes mounted up off the ground. Like those used for Wood Ducks here in the US. Aprx 2-3 feet off the ground is fine. The male may mate both hens but is more likely to pic one and stick to her. If it were me I'd get another male.
1.jpg

DuckBoxJpeg.jpg
Time to get the measuring tape out
Hi,
What would you like to know about them? I have raised them for years.
Will they b able to breed with other birds in around them I've trio Indian runner and pair of bantam bramha in with them atm they dont mix and they all keep to themselves and they r comfortable roosting near them at night so I assume they rnt afraid of them
They r pinioned will they still be able to get into nest boxes if I pit them 2 foot high or should I make a ramp up for them aswell?
What colour would a blonde female and an ordinary Male produce?

Definitely want a wooden nest box that's mounted and mimics what they'd naturally be nesting in the wild. If the Mandarins are pinioned, you'll need to provide them with a ramp up to the box to ensure they can reach it. You see zoos with setups like that for their pinioned birds. I'd advise having multiple boxes as the hens won't share one. It might be a good idea to have two mounted with ramps, and two sitting on the ground.

In regards to breeding, they generally do best as pairs. While domestic ducks will mate with one another, willy-nilly, captive-bred wild ducks seldom do. I'd suggest getting another male. Unless your two males are split to blonde, all of the offspring will be normal unless blonde is sex-linked and one copy will allow expression in females. The young will inherit one blonde gene from their mothers.

I would probably place them in their own aviary/enclosure for maximum success in keeping and breeding them. During breeding season the male Indian Runner may prevent the Mandarin drakes from breeding or may even try to mate with the Mandarin hens himself, which would result in infertile eggs that won't hatch.

I wouldn't worry about adding fish to their swimming area. You could offer a bowl for dabbling in with fish if you so desire. I would get them a nice large area to swim in. The first post in this thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-raised-duck-pond.1302005/

shows a lovely idea for an easily cleaned swimming area.

Back
Top Bottom