LET'S TALK ROOSTER'S.....THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by My Hens and Roo, Nov 12, 2014.

1. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    I have a small flock of laying hens in city limits which include(d) a pair of Sultans. Because of a noise ordinance and one (1) neighbor who complained (she complains about everything in the neighborhood) I had the pair moved to a local farm to be fostered for the time being.
    This has turned into a big ordeal but also the local newspaper has picked this up and the author told me yesterday that there is huge interest that is being shown from the community in my story.

Three weeks ago, my Sultan hen, my roosters beloved mate was killed in a hawk attack. He fought with all his might that the hawk had actually left, leaving his prey. My Roo was left injured with a toe being completely ripped off, Talon punctures in his neck and much of his feathering ripped from his head. The front of his legs and feet have taken the longest to heal....No, his broken heart is taking to longest to heal!

He would sit un-moving in the coop they shared for the next 28 hours, not eating, not uttering a peep.
    I, under court order, brought him home!!! When I went to get him, I didn't see him in his run. He heard my voice and bolted from that coop, came to me and wanted to be held. That's the first time I heard him make a sound I had never heard before. A crying sound.

I have a new trial date set for the 18th of this month.
    There is no ordinance in my city that pertains to chickens or the keeping of roosters.
    All six....yes of my citations are based on a noise disturbance in relation to animals that reads No Animal shall be allowd to make any sound at any time that can be heard beyond the border of keepers property.
    EVERY citation reads "Noise Ordinance Rooster Crowing"
    The police have been very cool actually. They even seem to be rooting for me. Out of 55 calls they have only heard him crow six times.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE FROM YOU.....I know how I portray MY little sweet, charming, easily handled by children rooster. I want to represent the PET rooster as something other than the cockfighting, pitt bull stereotype. Your helpful thoughts please?

2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    When did people get to the point that the sounds of nature became offensive to their ears? I love to hear my roo crow. My rooster is named CockyMonkey and he's such a sweetheart and more of a pet to me than my hens. He waits at the door of the run every morning for me to come out and give them treats then he waits til all the girls get some before he eats his. I wouldn't think of giving him away. I wish you luck with your problems.

3. Chickabee Honey

Chickabee Honey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Atascadero CA
    Hi! Can you go to the city to petition to have the ordinance removed or changed? City council meetings are a place to start.

4. My Hens and Roo

My Hens and Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Cornelius Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes, I have. They will not, or cannot as they claim, discuss this until I'm no longer a litigant. The lady oat the courthouse is trying to lump all the citations into one hearing. stay tuned.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Wow that seems like a really unreasonable city policy. I live nearly a half mile from my neighbors, and I can hear their dog bark "beyond the border of their property"- it doesn't bother me of course. And I am sure they can hear my roosters crow in the distance, too.

So can you ever hear a dog bark in your neighborhood during the day from your property? My guess is that people are less likely to complain about dogs even though they make as much noise as a rooster at times. Oh, and what about that leaf blower down the street and the lawn mower across the way? If you searched the internet, you could probably find what the average decibel level is of each of these noises for comparison.

I suppose the issue with some roosters is that they crow at sunrise. How willing or able are you to keep your pet rooster inside until day time? You may be able to argue then that he is no more of a disturbance than the typical pet dog. I have read posts from others here who have kept their rooster in a dog kennel over night in the garage or inside their house due to noise complaints. I had to take my poor big arthritic rooster in to the garage at night because he was sensitive to the cold and also eventually had difficulty getting up the coop ramp. But I would bring him out every day to be in the chicken run and he seemed to adjust to the routine well.

This woman in the area made 55 complaint calls?! What a pain not to mention a waste of the police's time. Can you get any letters from other neighbors indicating that they don't mind a rooster in the area at least perhaps in the day time?

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    A roosters' crows measured at 66 to 83 decibels according to scientific measurements of poultry farms. This is from a provincial government publication: http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/poultry/publications/documents/noise.pdf

It was actually more difficult to find credible sources for the decibel level of the rooster crow than I thought. You may notice that this same publication measured the noise from trucks on the farm at over 90 decibels. Here is a comparison chart link: https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafety/Training/PPETrain/dblevels.htm On this chart power mowers are listed at 96 decibels. For comparison dog barks are often listed around 80-90 decibels on various other websites.

Maybe you could write up a statement that challenges the practicality of the current sound ordinance with this information and attach print outs of the publications. Then you can ask people in the neighborhood to sign if they agree with the statement. I think if you highlight the fact that the sound ordinance includes any time of day rather than say 9pm to 9am and would mean that dogs would need to be kept indoors at all times, then the ordinance would seem excessively constrictive.

This link provides an example of a more reasonable sound ordinance: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/05/01/3927999/fort-worth-city-council-sets-decibel.html This ordinance for instance defines continuous noise as at least 10 minutes.

Also, I would argue that the fact that the police were called out 55 times and only gave 6 citation suggests that the rooster is not in fact a source of continuous noise. You could certainly question the subjective nature of your area's ordinance if it does not specify some sort of definition of continuous or repeated noise.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Chickabee Honey

Chickabee Honey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Atascadero CA
    I suggest you record your rooster crow. make sure your roo is safely away, then stand in the street "Say Anything" style in front of your crazy neighbors house. When the cops show up smile and say you were just enjoying a little music. Your sound ordinance probably has hours you can play music. use it to desensitize the neihbors. eventually they will rather have the roo than you :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by