Lets Talk Taxes!

I'm looking at H&R Tax Cut and it appears to be cheaper because it includes our state return info too.

I am just not sure to get the deluxe homeowner addition or self-employed? My husband actually works the most. I have a small home business online, but after everything I've made under $700 for the entire year! That seems so not worth it for me to work from home anymore as is. So does that mean I have to file with a more expensive program, as if I made real income. Dang IRS.... grrrrrrrrrrr

*enter stress here*

I started going to H & R Block when we had Mom's estate to deal with, and it was pretty reasonable. After 3 years it was all settled- really easy tax situation- and the charge was almost double what it had been! Reason? Our regular preparer retired, and his replacement was slower than cold molasses- we were being charged by the time it took. I filed a complaint by phone with H & R Block. The only response I got was an automated call thanking me for my comments.
th.gif

Last year I did ours using their software, which cost less than $40.00. Quite a bit of difference from $485.00! It took me 2 hours to do. Remarkably easy.
This year, I intend to check out the online ones.

The online one I was looking at is like $59 with the state one included for me, my husband and claiming me as a small business. Which I'm really not... I just sell our of state so I don't have to regisiter and pay business taxes in NC.

Right now I'm looking at the IRS site to see if we can claim the Earned Income Credit this year. Knowing my luck, we make that magic number of 2 much to get credits, too little to survive!

I use Turbo Tax.

We have w-2's, 1099's, retirement, social security, tupperware, business income that is not recorded anywhere but my own Quickbooks, estate stuff, capital gains/loss, a rental house in another state, itemizations, etc etc and Turbo Tax does just fine.

Quote:
That's why I got the Turbo Tax.
I have my mind intact.

What I do is as things come in the mail, I just enter them. I never take a pile to the computer and try to sort through it all.

For stuff that I have to figure myself, like Tupperware sales and Apron sales, on the first of each month I print off a report of sales, enter my cost of goods (apron fabric cost), my personal purchases (my Tupperware cupboard purchases and gifts for family), my office expenses (stamps, paper, sales flyers, ink etc) so I can easily refer to them at info entering time.

Easy, just takes a few minutes a month and again, my mind is still intact.
lol.png

Quote:
Stop stressing.

Get "Turbo Tax Deluxe" (write it down)

That has your schedule C for your bussinesses, as well as your 1099's and deductions. The siding isn't deductable under energy savings, but a chunk should be as repairs to your place of business (basically the % of the cost equal to the % of your home used for business). I've used it for years, and it does a far better job. One thng to note is that you may want to watch your numbers carefully, by not taking a business deduction I was eligable for, I ended up with a larger return (claiming the deduction would've shown the business making so little that the tax credit didn't kick in). No one's going to care as much as you do about how much you get back.

We have used Turbo Tax for years, purchase the update of the program every year. We have deductions for the Farm and the program won't let you error, because it will come back asking verifying questions to be able to qualify for a particular deduction.
This is a much wiser method, due to the fact that who understands your business and costs better than you do. No offense to tax preparers, but my refunds have greatly increased since we've done our own taxes. Itemizations that a preparer wouldn't think of asking you if you qualify for, the turbo tax program will make you aware of.

Try it.............if you don't like it, go back to what you previously did!

Back
Top Bottom