Lets Talk Taxes!

vfem

Yoga...The Chicken Pose
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
Fuquay Varina, NC
Now this whole subject stresses me out! Usually I take all my paperwork to H&R Block and let them figure it out. However, it costs me like $500 a year to have them do it, and I don't get enough back to get enough of a refund to deal with those crazy costs.

So this year I am going to try to file online myself, so I'm terrified. I keep reading about all these new rules, and breaks. I see 'talk to your tax professional' on these things a lot too. I'm tired of paying a 'professional' and not having enough left over to do home repairs or have a vacation... or put enough away in retirement where it belongs!

Well, with a family and a business and questions and concerns and YES.... STRESS!!!! I decided here is a good place for all of us to come to ask questions, share what we've learned, VENT if need be, explain something we've discovered that can help others and all things tax related. I didn't want to put this in business since it will covered personal stuff too with home and family and of course room to vent! (Please share links to the things you've learned and proper tax documents ON the irs site.)

Like I need to vent I learned I can't claim the siding we spent all that money on this year... because it isn't actually an insulation product it doesn't count! ARGH!!!! *vent* *breathe* *growl*
he.gif

And I was curious about using Turbo Tax (the site or software), I've never done it, but I'm thinking about it. What does it cost to use to do my home stuff, family, business ect? Not the free edition. Or would people recommend something different.

What is your favorite way of going about the rush of tax time?!

Greg uses Turbo Tax every year with absolutely no problems. He buys the software I guess and then starts inputting all the info. They ask him questions occasionally depending on what info he's just listed, like has he taken the additional credits due to him if he really has that many kids. The software connects to your last year's tax info to make sure everything jibes-they wouldn't send it through for us one year because he'd put one of the kid's social security numbers in wrong-and then they will write to you to tell you that the return has been accepted and when you can expect your money. Keep in mind that I do not use the software so this is just my impression of how easy it is to work with but I can tell you Greg has filed for the last four years using Turbo Tax on the very same day he got his W2.

I have always, always, always done my own taxes - I actually enjoy it and look forward to tax time. So much so that several friends have asked me to do their taxes for them and I happily do theirs as well! I buy the TurboTax software and love how easy it is to use. It asks you questions in an interview format that makes it reasonably easy to understand. Once you've input your information in answer to the questions, it fills out the forms for you with all the figures in the correct places. All you have to do is print, sign and mail. Or, you can e-File it right from the software.

My dh uses turbo tax and it went better than when we paid someone to do them.The company dh used 2 years ago charged him over $250! If I had been with him I would have walked out.I would recommend turbo tax.

Mine's pretty complicated because I run a small online business from home, I file with my husband and of course have all my little claims I do like donations, interest on the house and college loans. Hubby and I file together is all I know. Thank goodness this the the FIRST year we've been together he only has 1 W-2 and no 1099's!!! WHOOHOO

We've done SO much work to the house last year we put in 1000's, but it looks like I can't claim any of it... doesn't qualify for the home-energy tax credit. Oh well!

Back
Top Bottom