Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

I have a success story about my bantam silkie rooster we named "broke neck". I noticed that about a week after he was born his head flipped upside down. I thought it was because he was reaching back to clean his backside too much. He still had a good appetite and continued to drink water. I had no idea what to do with him at that time, he was able to turn his head around enough to eat and drink, then it would flip back around. He eventually came out of it for about 2 weeks, then it flipped again. This time it was much worse. His head was all the way around and he was unable to flip it to eat or drink. He also developed spraddle leg from exerting himself to stand. He was a mess. I set him aside by himself. I was concerned he may be suffering and in pain. When anyone else saw him, they freaked because he looked so bad. My sister was actually scared of him. I decided he was not in pain because when I would hold him up to food he would give a happy cheep to me. So, I decided to try to rehab him.

I read up on what others had done and then tried most things. I found neck splints very unhelpful. They upset him and all he tried to do was get out of them. I wrigged up lots of variations of whole body slings, neck wraps with everything from foam to pipe cleaners. I had him in suspended devices to help get his legs under him, he hated them all. They ended up being dangerous because of his thrashing to get out of them. I then read about vitamins. I gave him his food-non gmo grain mix for chicks- along with vitamin B complex, moringa, and chopped up little apples/grapes/lettuce. He ate them all up, but for weeks there was no improvement.

I fed him holding him upside down sometimes, and then at times I would help him get his neck around and he could take a couple of pecks with his neck up, then it would flip back upside down. We just kept at it. Turning, pecking, flipping for feedings. I fed him 3 times a day. Drinking was a problem, he had poor control and usually ended up getting too much up his nose. I kept him upside down for that. I did not put it into his mouth via dropper because it seemed to drown him. I would let him drink often and he did not get dehydrated.

I then finally tried the poly-vi-sol without iron I was reading so much about. I put the poly-vi-sol on his food instead of his water- I did not drip them into his mouth because it also seemed to drown him. He took it very well that way. I also put him in a quiet, peaceful place. I was keeping him near us to keep a close eye on him, but I think the noise was too upsetting and causing stress that seemed to make his muscles spasm more. After a week he put his head up by himself for 30 seconds for the first time and cheeped in his "I am so happy" cheep. Everyday after he was able to keep his head up a little longer. He had a few bad days in there when he would relapse and have more trouble, but then he would have a good day again. I then taped his feet together so they would not splay out and he was able to stand after a few more days. I was so relieved. He had to relearn to walk and just walked in circles for a few days, but eventually he was able to go where he wanted. He is now out back with the other chickens :) All in all, his rehab took about 2 months. It may have been less if I knew what to do in the beginning...but maybe not...who knows.
In conclusion I think what ended up helping him--in THIS case was...
1. Poly-vi-sol
2. fresh foods
3. clean towels for bedding instead of wood chips-changed 2xa day
4. cleaning his eyes out when food got stuck in them
5. cleaning his bottom from poop when he could not stand-daily
6. a QUIET environment--so important.
It seems that when I would read about wry neck--a lot of times it started like this "my silkie..." I guess silkies may have some more prone genes to wry neck. I also read that the metabolic demands for vitamin b,e decrease when they get a little older. I think my silkie may have been genetically inclined to get it, the other in his group have always been fine...and I think for what ever reason he demanded more vitamins and minerals than the others.
It is truly horrible to have a chicken with wry neck. My best to ANYONE going through it. I am also so thankful to others that posted about it, any and all information ended up being helpful in the end.
Thanks for this thread :)
Heather

My little "tinsel" after two days of vits!! She's doing so well! Thank god for byc!!!

Please continue vitamin supplementation as in my experieces these birds have a tendency to relapse.

We came home and noticed our quail laying on its side. It's neck almost appears broken or completely twisted. It can't stand up. It just keeps kicking and trying to get up but can't.

The quail are about 6 weeks old. We don't know if it flew up and injured itself Although they are in a plastic container with a mesh top so i am thinking that it is unlikely. It was always way smaller than the rest. We've been reading about merecks or wry. Not sure if that is common in coturnix quail or what could be the cause.

We were able to give it water with a dropper but it is hard for him to eat.

Not sure what to do or how to help him as we are quail newbies.

Though it can be heredity...
I found out in my situation it was a rooster taking down the other chickens by their neck.
I didn't realize this until the 4th chicken...
It started as 1 chicken every 4 or 5 days I was having to bring in the house because there neck
was all messed up and twisted and turning upside down...and most just wind up with their
neck and head resting on the ground. I thought they were going to die..!! I had no idea what was going on...
but usually within about 38 hours they would start to perk up and within about 4 days back to normal.
One of them did not get back to normal and has a crick in her neck, and when lights go dim at night
she twists her head upside down and between her legs, and we have to get her a towel and rest
her head and neck on it...and she does fine, until morning and the neck does what it did before she
fell asleep but after a minute or two she's doing just fine.
1 other bird took almost 3 weeks to heal....and now is doing great.

I don't know anything about quails...
but let him rest, by himself where no one can step on him.
I wouldn't try to move him except for to give him water with a dropper
every few hours...
My experience has been it takes about 2 days and sometimes longer.
I'm not possitive, but I would think if they had a broken neck they would die quickly...?
Mine didn't die....they just look like they were going too..!

We tried but we lost smalls. So sad.

We still have six more and the all seem ok. I hope to never have to see that happen again.

Back
Top Bottom