Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

I have a black polish rooster that has crook neck. It started when he was about 6 weeks old. At first he could not hold his head up it would swing down. I have been giving him polivsoil vitamins and vitamin E He is now 18 weeks old. I had to put him in a separate pen as the others would knock him around and I would find him laying on the ground unable to get up. He is doing much better now. He is able to hold his head up but it is still crooked. My son built him a special feeding dish it stands about 7-8 inch high This way he doesnt have to bend down to eat. He is not alone as we put a female black polish in with him. He comes to me when I open the door. He knows that when he can't get his head up I will help him and he doesn't freak when I pick himup to medicate him. He has become one of my favorites as I spend alot of time with him. I don't know if he will ever get to return to the main coop but if he can't we will build him a small one of his own.

@Micki
How long have you been giving the polyvisol? too much A and D3 is not good and if you have exceeded the recommended on week daily/the next week taper off, then stop.
Put him on AviaCharge 2000 (this is formulated not at therapeutic (high) dosage but as a complete daily supplement (originally developed for organic certified)
Is the E you are giving him a human combo with selenium? >>> also how much are you giving?

Did this come on suddenly? I have a 3 1/2 month old chick that came down with it suddenly. (OVERNIGHT, I THINK) Will she ever lay??? Will I be able to keep her with the rest of my flock? Any answers would be great!! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!

Quote:
I can't see her head at all...do you have a photo that shows the neck better...??? I'm really curious about this...but can't really see the 'neck' in these photos...
sad.png

I remember as a kid, my parents had meat birds and some of them had 'neck issues' I remember some of them having crooked looking necks...so my dad had his chiropractor friend come over and I remember him fixing them with a tweeking or two!!!!!

Viola!
big_smile.png

wink.png

e

Sorry about your chickens...I lost a couple last week to a neigborhood dog...so preventable...

I have a blue silkie, about three-weeks-old, who started to show signs about two-weeks-ago.

After some research online I immediatly switched to organic chic starter, seperated "Hendrix", the inflicted chic, from the other chics, and started giving Hendrix...

1) a tiny crushed piece of human B vitamin,
2) about half of a 400 IUD vitamin E gel cap, and
3) mixed it with a couple drops of selenium to help the absorbtion of vitamin E

...each day.

I often mixed it with some mulit-grain baby cereal, soymilk, and egg yolk for nutrition supplimentation.

I was starting to get worried about Hendrix after a week, because his head was always tucked....

But this week...especially today, Hendrix seems almost normal. I am so happy!

Everytime I have checked on him today his head has been up.

I will probably continue treatment for another week.

Good Luck with your chic! Hang in there!

My silkie Jazz had crookneck. He was pecked by my EEs out in the yard and it took about a week before he started showing symptoms...first just a crook in his neck, then he started folding up sometimes, then almost permanently flopping his neck under his body until he rolled over.

For a month we had him separated from his brother and sister. He stayed in our room. At first we had him in a cat carrier, but he kept flipping over. Then we put him in a box, stuffed in with towels, but he still managed to flip over in the box. Finally my husband made a sling. We took a jazz sized plastic box and he used some rubber baglike material, wrapped the box and cut slits for his legs. This box worked like a charm. He couldn't get his neck under his legs anymore. We hand fed and watered him several times a day during treatment.

We followed the medication round suggested at blue egg brown egg--prednisone, Vit E, Selenium, and Vit B. He had a full recovery in one month's time. Here's the link:
http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article.html click on crookneck.

Good luck!

I'm used to smoke a cigarette and blow some smoke at them when they get this systems .
so times they just have a ear infection and the sense of smoke repel any pest or parasite is doing more harm.
I also give them some antibiotics
I'm not a smoker but I do anything to protect my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom