Let's talk Wry Neck/Crook Neck

There are cases of wry neck or torticolis that have occurred after an injury or attack. Many of these have been witnessed in threads on BHC. Anything that causes brain inflammation, such as injury, certain diseases, or a vitamin injury, can cause wry neck. VitamIns including vitamin E and selenium should always be given with wry neck, just in case.

Ok I stand wrong. I wasn't aware that wry neck was as a result of brain inflammation which also happens from the lack of vitamins. Glad you are here and noticed that!

Ok I stand wrong. I wasn't aware that wry neck was as a result of brain inflammation which also happens from the lack of vitamins. Glad you are here and noticed that!
No problem, and didn't mean to be a know it all. You may also see wry neck or torticolis as a chicken dies when the oxygen in the brain is too low. I have had one die in my arms with that. There are so many causes of torticoilis, including infectious diseases, and it is always best to know an age, background, etc.

No problem, and didn't mean to be a know it all. You may also see wry neck or torticolis as a chicken dies when the oxygen in the brain is too low. I have had one die in my arms with that. There are so many causes of torticoilis, including infectious diseases, and it is always best to know an age, background, etc. 

Quite right... Had a duckling with what looked like wry neck, but the cause was from a yolk sac infection!

-Kathy

I am new at chickens. Have had exotic birds. But what actually happened is the scared bird twisted her neck. Happened very quickly, before I could even let go. I am most grateful for all replies. Maybe wry neck was the wrong term. But it was twisted, and she was walking in circles with her head twisted, one eye up. When held, she'd turn her head almost upside down. I have been slowly stretching, and twisting it back, finally giving a bit of prednisone. She has responded well. Still has a slight tilt, but much better. For her physical therapy, I put her in my lap, rubbing her neck and slowly pushing it out. Then, at full extension, slowly apply a twisting motion opposite the direction she was carrying it, putting slight pressure on the neck and pushing against my finger. Also, in that same stretched out position, without twisting, I applied pressure to tilt the head the opposite direction from which she is carrying it. Only for a minute at a time, and repeated so as not to torture her. I am, actually an RN BSN, and know what to do for torticolis in humans, when it isn't related to vitamin deficiencies, like in chickens. I hadn't thought of it as torticolis, until you guys mentioned it, and then the light bulb came on. Maybe I could fix it. It is working for this injury...and it is improving. I thank you, all, for caring to reply.

Last edited:
I am new at chickens. Have had exotic birds. But what actually happened is the scared bird twisted her neck. Happened very quickly, before I could even let go. I am most grateful for all replies. Maybe wry neck was the wrong term. But it was twisted, and she was walking in circles with her head twisted, one eye up. When held, she'd turn her head almost upside down. I have been slowly stretching, and twisting it back, finally giving a bit of prednisone. She has responded well. Still has a slight tilt, but much better. For her physical therapy, I put her in my lap, rubbing her neck and slowly pushing it out. Then, at full extension, slowly apply a twisting motion opposite the direction she was carrying it, putting slight pressure on the neck and pushing against my finger. Also, in that same stretched out position, without twisting, I applied pressure to tilt the head the opposite direction from which she is carrying it. Only for a minute at a time, and repeated so as not to torture her. I am, actually an RN BSN, and know what to do for torticolis in humans, when it isn't related to vitamin deficiencies, like in chickens. I hadn't thought of it as torticolis, until you guys mentioned it, and then the light bulb came on. Maybe I could fix it. It is working for this injury...and it is improving. I thank you, all, for caring to reply.

Happy to hear you are seeing improvement :)

You sound like an awesome chicken mum :)
I know how frustrating it is...one day at a time. I hope your girls all recover quickly. A death in the flock seems to unbalance some. I swear my top hen is still grieving the loss of her sister 3 weeks ago :( they used to cuddle together every afternoon on the back deck...

Now she comes and lays up against my feet each afternoon to cuddle with me. I know many would say that an emotion like grief is giving a chicken too much credit but a best friend's absence (or worse witnessing their death) definitely has an impact.
Best wishes and keep us updated.

Just love this picture. While my Rocky is still weak, she seems to be improving and actually walked to the top of the ramp leading to my cickens'roost. We had been putting her alone in a rabbit hutch. I have been giving vitamin E twice a day, now once, selenium, and poly-visol. A day at a time. We all still mourn the death of Goldie who a hawk killed. Here she is (the Rhode Island Red).

Just love this picture. While my Rocky is still weak, she seems to be improving and actually walked to the top of the ramp leading to my cickens'roost. We had been putting her alone in a rabbit hutch. I have been giving vitamin E twice a day, now once, selenium, and poly-visol. A day at a time. We all still mourn the death of Goldie who a hawk killed. Here she is (the Rhode Island Red).

Awww she was a pretty girl. Happy to hear Rocky is improving :) It's so rewarding when they start doing chicken things again!

Rocky actually stood on the roost all night last night. I will move to once a week and see how that goes. We are in the midst of repainting the house and, in my foggy state, I gave the wrong hen the regimen. Since I squeezed it on mealworms, I got no complaints. Oh, dear!Will have to get the right hen tonight. Rocky seems to refuse eggs lately, thus the mealworms.

I am getting so frustrated. I have been treating my 8 week old Welsummer roo for wry neck for 3 weeks with little to no improvement. I give selenium drops, vit E, prednisone, and poly vi sol every day. He is still in the large brooder with some pullets. Would isolation help? The girls are very protective of him. :)

Back
Top Bottom