Letting chickens clear the garden

pclark17

Songster
5 Years
Jan 5, 2017
Western Kentucky
Is there any considerations I need to make before letting my hens have access to our summer garden space now that everything has just about ended production? We have green bean plants, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapenos, and some squash plants. I want to give them free run of the space but didn't know if there was anything I needed to consider before letting them have at it. Being this is the first time we have had a successful garden space since getting our girls last year, I want to make sure I am doing so responsibly. I would imagine they will enjoy the goodies they find, as well as helping me clear the ground and break up the soil while making their contributions to the dirt for next year.

Would the tomato plants be of any concern? I know the fruit itself is ok but what about the leaves? I'm asking because I am in the same situation and I was planning on pulling the tomato vines before releasing the ladies but if I don't have to do that step all the better.

No worries about tomato leaves or any other leaves in the garden. My girls make a bee line for THE RHUBARB every fall when I let them into the garden. They skeletonize those leaves. Um. We all have been told how poisonous rhubarb LEAVES are, right???? Well, my girls have not read that fact, and are not at all impressed when I tell them about it. They simply chow down those leaves, and come back the next day for some more.

Back
Top Bottom