Letting chicks be themselves?

JerJohnson

Chirping
Nov 26, 2019
Monroe, NY, Schunnemunk Mt.
Hi all, Please share your experience if you`ve raised chicks from your flock au natural. This will be my first spring w/my flock. I have a few chicks that just hatched 2 days ago. They are staying w/their Moms inside the coop. There`s also a fairly large screen coop attached for them to go out into. My flock is about 40 total, 7 roos, 33 hens, free range, they range far and wide. Can they simply survive and learn their own way w/the Moms? I`m in Monroe, NY, Hudson Valley area. Thanks in advance. JJ

I have the same question, How I found your post. I have a 3 x 5 (?) enclosure, NO Coop and a hen on her 22nd day of setting on about a dozen eggs. Last time, I raised the chicks in a 100 g Trough, moved them to the enclosure, let them go after a couple months? Will the other 14-15 hens pick on the chicks? I have a dog that isn't likely to bother them. Can pen them up at night..
So FEW do things Natural these days. SO MANY need to 'CONTROL' every dad gum thing in life...I'd like to see how things turn out. I have 3 store bought, 3 weeks old chicks. Put them in the enclosure or NOW, 50g Trough, with the babies?

Hi all, Please share your experience if you`ve raised chicks from your flock au natural. This will be my first spring w/my flock. I have a few chicks that just hatched 2 days ago. They are staying w/their Moms inside the coop. There`s also a fairly large screen coop attached for them to go out into. My flock is about 40 total, 7 roos, 33 hens, free range, they range far and wide. Can they simply survive and learn their own way w/the Moms? I`m in Monroe, NY, Hudson Valley area. Thanks in advance. JJ
From my experience I would say watch them closely. I have two 4 week olds with mom. They are escape artist and last week were managing to escape through holes I didn't think they could fit through. I have a dog run attached to the chicken run and I also have free range cats.

I think the momma will protect them, and though they're fragile it's probably easier to integrate them into the flock this way. How are they managing so far? Has anyone picked on them? Just make sure they're in the coop at night and with momma at all times because chicks are fragile and vulnerable to predators and the cold.

Momma does an amazing job of teaching her peeps. I've observed her showing them how to scratch and dust bathe. Now they are getting up on a low roost during the day on occasion. When they got out and I was trying to catch them to put them back with her she was a mess and managed to peck me really hard through the fencing. I'm sure the cats respect her alot

I’ve not raised chicks myself but I’m a phone/internet man. I go to everyone’s homes and see everything. That includes mama hens with baby chicks following along and not a coop to be seen. They’re built for it. We’re the ones that make them fragile. God knows what He’s doing.

Guess what I found? She still has 5-6 eggs under her...
Dad is a mixed bag, give away, so Who Knows what colors may turn up, out?

Attachments

• IMG_7814.jpg
    IMG_7814.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom