Letting eggs sit before incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AimsChickies, Sep 26, 2011.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    How many of you let your eggs rest before incubating? How long do you let them set? Just curious [​IMG] I forgot how fun this is!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put my egg in my incubator but don't turn on the turner until the next day to give the eggs time to settle. Just what I do...

3. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I waited 12 hours for mine. They seem to be doing good. Room temp and small point down in cartons seems best. Some people do it 24-48 hours, but I really think it depends on how old the eggs are. The older the egg, the quicker you want to get it into the incubator.

ChooksNQuilts likes this.
  4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Are you talking about shipped eggs? or eggs coming from cold storage ?

I move my eggs in steps from cold storage to room temp for about 6 hours to set.

5. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    I also just let mine set in turner with it off for 12-24 hours. first time i incubated I didnt put them in the turner so they were up right but on the counter...big fail, I think thats part of the reason I had such a horrible hatch rate. 2 out of 13! So I think the key is, for shipped eggs anyhow, let them rest big end up in an egg carton or in your turner for a day before [​IMG] good luck

6. cukooformarans

cukooformarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Alabama
    I think 12-hours. A seller advised me to do this and I had an 11 out of 12 hatch rate. Got some eggs from the same seller and tried a little less (I think it was 5 or 6 hours) and got like 9 out of 14. (Sort of, we had a power outage and the first one to pip got shrink wrapped and another died in the first day so ended up with 7.) May have had nothing to do with anything but the first hatch rate was so much better that I just stuck with it.

7. DAVE07

DAVE07 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Melbourne
    Does a mother hen do this?

8. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:No, a mother hen does not do this. I've always wonder why some people do [​IMG] I've had great hatches with my shipped eggs by taking them straight from the box to the egg turner in the incubator.

9. Kavellion

Kavellion Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    Drummond, OK
    i am impatient i just put em right in the incubator and turn it on.

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have let them sit out for up to 24 hrs and put them in right away. I found no significant differences in my hatches. One thing I do is I put the shipped eggs in the incubator the day I get them and the next day turn on the turner. The eggs are all pretty well up to temperature internally then.

[​IMG]

ChooksNQuilts likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by