Letting Lavender and Chocolate Orpington Free Range Together

grandcamel

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2019
I have some month old lavender orpingtons and month old chocolate orpingtons. I would like to keep them separate most of the time for purebred babies. If I do let them free range together a few hours each day, roosters and all, will I still most likely get mostly purebred chicks? I know they will breed what is around them but if they are mostly just with the same color will I have much of a variation? Also...any help on what would be the result of a lavender rooster with a chocolate hen? I know the chocolate rooster with lavender hen will result in chocolate males but black females.

Last edited:
I think that's going to be what I end up doing once they are matured. I was just curious if they would retain more sperm from the ones they were with the majority of the time or not.

They can retain sperm from one mating for 30 days and sometimes slightly longer. I just noticed they are just a month old. You'll have no problem free ranging them together for a long time yet, the rest of the year anyhow. They likely won't start laying until next spring.

Yes the lavender roo to chocolate hen will result in all black babies..and chocolate roo to lavender hen will result in chocolate females and black males. I finally sat down and did punnett squares for them...made it clear for me.

Sounds like a plan.. now to keep myself occupied until they start laying. I'll settle with the chicks I am hatching from locally bought hatching eggs for now.

Back
Top Bottom