LG 9300 first time go

Sorry about your loss of a hatch. Mary and I appreciate the assistance. We are fairly experienced with taking care of the chicks and chickens, but neither of us have used an incubator before. I am certain I will build one down the road but wanted to learn as much as I could first. This is really upping the learning curve. It has to be straight by tomorrow afternoon when we set eggs. Off to get more thermometers. haha

I just realised my math blunder as I was about to head out the door. The calibrated one is reading low so the factory one is only off by .1 degree. I still have to set it higher to reach the 99.5. Will fix the screwy math in earlier posts so I don't confuse anyone by accident.

Sorry about your loss of a hatch. Mary and I appreciate the assistance. We are fairly experienced with taking care of the chicks and chickens, but neither of us have used an incubator before. I am certain I will build one down the road but wanted to learn as much as I could first. This is really upping the learning curve. It has to be straight by tomorrow afternoon when we set eggs. Off to get more thermometers. haha
It was definitely a learning experience, but I've not had a bad hatch since (knock on wood), so
thumbsup.gif

just starting the hydrometer calibration test. I used the cap to a 2 liter soda bottle and filled it 3/4 full with table salt. Then I added just enough water to make it look like wet beach sand after the tide rolls away. The cap with solution was placed in a resealable bag along with the hydrometer. In the morning I will take a new photo with the reading inside the bag. It should read 75 in the morning.

after 18 hours this thing is still around 60. Will be setting eggs mid afternoon so we will put some water in 2 channels for now and go shop for a digital hydrometer. The kids and I are going to the Fayetteville Hatchery to view the birds and get the eggs. Mary is going to be experimenting with a new egg recepie while we are there.

The test subjects have been set into place. A dozen Barred Rock are at the mercy of our attention to detail and patience. Currently waiting for the temp to stabilize at around 100.5 to 101 on top of our future minions.

The humidity was way too high so we removed the water. Waiting for it to stabilize and will add very little at a time if needed. The biggest concern was how to get the humidity up for the last 3 days. Jeremy at, Fayetteville Poultry Chicks, gave us a sponge like the ones he uses. Apparently they are made for incubators. He also have some other advice.

The humidity was way too high so we removed the water. Waiting for it to stabilize and will add very little at a time if needed. The biggest concern was how to get the humidity up for the last 3 days. Jeremy at, Fayetteville Poultry Chicks, gave us a sponge like the ones he uses. Apparently they are made for incubators. He also have some other advice.
I don't use the wells the first 17 days. If it stays above 25% I run dry, if not I wet a sponge and keep it on the screen at egg level. At lockdown I fill the wells and add sponges.

Back
Top Bottom