LG 9300 first time go

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BertandMary, Mar 10, 2016.

1. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] the best way we could find to keep the humidity between 30 and 35 % was to dampen a paper towel, crumple it loosely and put it in an egg holder. That has been perfect. Just do it in the morning and again at night. We are still having short term temp fluctuations between 97 and 103. Never again without a fan. Lol we've read so often that the eggs neither cool nor heat as fast as the air so we aren't overly concerned. They are probably maintaining an average of 100 at the center level of the egg. Not ideal but should do the trick.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

3. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Tried candeling a bit ago. There is nothing to see, maybe. Thought I could see something but wasn't sure. For a minute I thought the shadow from my candler setup was an air sack. That feaked me out. Checked for and found photos of days 6 candeling. I couldn't see anything in those photos either, which were light brown eggs too. Realised what I thought was the air sack was really just a shadow. Will keep plugging along and check again Sunday. Hopefully I can figure out how to shut the flash off on the smarter than me phone. Temps have held good and himidity is staying between 30 and 40 %. Right about now we are thankful we used the less expensive eggs to learn with. Would hate to be learning on 50 to 100 dollar a dozen eggs.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I shared a great candling page with you on the she said/he said thread. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    That was a great page. You shared it on a differnt threat though. Lol. I check four and think I saw veining

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    See, I bounce around so much I don't even know where I am half the time....lol

7. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    After texting with the guy from the hatchery, we've decided to wait on candeling until after day 10. He said it really isn't worth it for newbies to get in there too much. We might misidentify a good egg as bad etc. We checked only one and clearly saw the little dark spot of an embryo starting. Will wait until Wed night and try to get a photo up.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm a firm believer that if you are not comfortable with something in hatching/incubation, then you shouldn't do. If you are not comfortable candling early on, you shouldn't, but I do have to comment on their logic. You will never learn if you don't do. Just because you candle and think an egg might be bad doesn't mean you have to pull it out and throw it away. As long as it doesn't stink or leak, you can leave it in. But if you candle an egg, and you think it's a goner and you leave it in and find out, hey, that was a good egg, then you've learned something. Or vice versa. The "experts" will tell you to set em and leave them alone, but the only way they became experts was by looking and learning. Just wanted to throw that out there.

2 people like this.
  9. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    I am going to purchase the LED mag light as recommended so Bert can show and teach me what he knows about candling. Even though I am excited to see progression, I can wait til Wednesday.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  10. BertandMary

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Mary got us the Lux Pro Extreme TAC 500 LED flashlight. That thing tosses out 250 lumens. Will ask her to post about price and where she picked it up. Reminds me a lot of the one's I used in service without the cord and thumb switch. We couldn't wait so we opened the bater and held it over a few of the eggs. Even in a lit room we could see veining and embryo development in the few we looked at, which was four. One egg looks like a non starter but we will wait until day 14 to make any decision. Amazing light and it does not throw heat off. Now we have to learn to cup it and balance an egg on our hand while the other takes a photo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by