LGBTQ+ Poultry Keepers

Yeah I know.... positive ID being the whole dang point of not just broad spectrum-ing them away! Naturally, these two cecal or roundworm eggs are supposed to be super hard to differentiate.

deeper i head into the world of parasites!
One of the biggest probs I had when contemplating doing chicken fecals, and looking at pond fish bugs, was finding pics with magnifications noted for positive ID's.
That and my scope is sh!t.

Lol...and I'm snickering right back because I also started with a small square foot bed and was enthusiastic enough to be seen from space. :D Things got bigger as I went along and figured out what worked for me and it sounds like you have excellent plans going forward. Oh and if you haven't experienced it yet, the seed catalogs that arrive snail mail in Dec/Jan really will have you drooling and make you plot and plan on graph paper (or scribbled on make do graph paper) like a mad person. Those around you will come to recognize this as gardening withdrawal and have them begging Ma Nature to bring early spring weather because they fear for your sanity.
Love the bramble fence idea, and corn in a Sq Ft bed?? :bow
What kind of horses? A couple of us have horses too.
I am currently going to try overwintering some tomato cuttings and maybe the pepper plants to put back out next year, if that doesn't go well I will probably buy seeds and start them, the ones this year were bought at walmart and I'm not super impressed.

Graph paper?? lol, I have CAD and have measured out a good bit of my property by triangulating and then plotting it in CAD.. I still need to graph over where the garden is from where I measured though...

Yeah... popcorn in a Sq Ft bed was a great idea until I realized that corn has huge SHARP leaves.... so, I have actually pruned my corn several times to remove all of the leaves that are pointing into the rest of the bed so I can garden without being sliced.... NOT putting corn back in there again, but it was a decent experiment.

I'm actually down to 4 horses now, 3 at my place and one next door because he was being beat up. The 3 at my place are Stud (Sabino White TWH percheron cross stallion), Papi (Bay and White Tobiano TWH gelding), Pippin (Silver Dapple Mini gelding). The one next door is Splash (Chestnut and White Overo Arab x Paint gelding).

Stud doesn't respect things that run from him so he picked on Splash pretty bad, so Splash lives next door with a herd of beef cows now. Pippin will kick Stud in the head if Stud tries to mess with him, it's pretty funny watching them play actually. Pip is 32" and Stud is around 16hh but Stud has been with Pip off and on since he was a yearling so the're good friends and Stud and Papi have a really weird possibly somewhat gay relationship where Stud is absolutely in love with Papi and if they are separated for any period of time will run up to him nickering and try to mount him when they get back together.

One of the biggest probs I had when contemplating doing chicken fecals, and looking at pond fish bugs, was finding pics with magnifications noted for positive ID's.
That and my scope is sh!t.
I just ordered a new eyepiece with a scale/ruler in it. Apparently that should differentiate between most. 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Like actual popcorn seeds?
Yep, regular yellow popcorn from Walmart. There are 2 main types of corn, Dent corn has a small indention in the ends of the kernels and that is the type that is sweet corn, the kind you roast or buy in a can. Flint corn is the other kind, that kind is left on the stalk until the entire plant dies and dries up, the seeds of flint corn are rounded on the ends and that is the type used for feed, cornmeal and popcorn.

Different varieties have different properties, but generally a dent corn is meant to be harvested at the "milk stage" and eaten wet (rather than dried), flint can generally be popped but some varieties will pop better than others.

Yep, regular yellow popcorn from Walmart. There are 2 main types of corn, Dent corn has a small indention in the ends of the kernels and that is the type that is sweet corn, the kind you roast or buy in a can. Flint corn is the other kind, that kind is left on the stalk until the entire plant dies and dries up, the seeds of flint corn are rounded on the ends and that is the type used for feed, cornmeal and popcorn.

Different varieties have different properties, but generally a dent corn is meant to be harvested at the "milk stage" and eaten wet (rather than dried), flint can generally be popped but some varieties will pop better than others.
:pop

I did this experiment once when I was a kid, the garden was awful and shaded, my plants didn't do well, I only got 1 ear and the squirrels picked it and ate half of it... I found the half eaten ear, went ahead and stripped what was left off of the ear and tried popping it, it did just fine. I expect much better things out of this batch of popcorn, for one, I know I have at least 10 ears on the stalks right now but they are so closely packed I don't know if there are any on the inside of the square or if they are all on the outside edges.

Back
Top Bottom