Lice and ivermectin

PrincessKiara

Songster
Mar 2, 2020
Caribbean
Hello!

I just found a louse on two of my chickens. They don't appear super infested, but I want to nip that in the bud. I have Adecto ivermectin injectable for dogs, at a 1% solution. I have adults and juveniles. Most are Silkies, but there are a couple of Silkie mixes, two super tiny bantam hens, a giant red sexlink hen and three young Polish, also a guinea female and a Mallard duckling. I also have several coturnix quail.

Can I apply the Adecto either IM, topically or in water? I have no way of weighing the birds exactly, and I don't want to overdose. Also, how can I clean up the coop? It's untreated wood, chicken wire and wood shavings.

TIA!

Hello!

I just found a louse on two of my chickens. They don't appear super infested, but I want to nip that in the bud. I have Adecto ivermectin injectable for dogs, at a 1% solution. I have adults and juveniles. Most are Silkies, but there are a couple of Silkie mixes, two super tiny bantam hens, a giant red sexlink hen and three young Polish, also a guinea female and a Mallard duckling. I also have several coturnix quail.

Can I apply the Adecto either IM, topically or in water? I have no way of weighing the birds exactly, and I don't want to overdose. Also, how can I clean up the coop? It's untreated wood, chicken wire and wood shavings.

TIA!
I think you should take a different approach.
First Saturday Lime - A Yard Product That Can Help You In So Many Ways!
First Saturday Lime is what i use and it kills them 1.On the birds. and 2. In the shavings! If 2 have it then most likely the rest do/will.

I think you should take a different approach. View attachment 2721334 First Saturday Lime is what i use and it kills them 1.On the birds. and 2. In the shavings! If 2 have it then most likely the rest do/will.
How would Saturday lime take care of lice? It's basically barn lime which is crushed limestone or calcium carbonate only they marketed it under a fun name. It will help cut down on odors, but if there is already an infestation, it won't be useful for pests.

Hello!

TIA!
Here is a response from casportpony in a different thread regarding the 1% injectable.
Post in thread 'Ivermectin 1% Injectable Question' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ivermectin-1-injectable-question.661367/post-11725282

And here: Post in thread 'Ivermectin 1% Injectable Question' https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ivermectin-1-injectable-question.661367/post-13316948

How would Saturday lime take care of lice? It's basically barn lime which is crushed limestone or calcium carbonate only they marketed it under a fun name. It will help cut down on odors, but if there is already an infestation, it won't be useful for pests.
It works for me, but you do you.

It works for me, but you do you.
I was just inquiring as to how it works. It could be that you have avoided a pest infestation up to this point and the saturday lime is just a product you use. I use barn lime as well, but I wouldn't trust it as pest control. I don't sprinkle it on the chickens though. However, I also have dirt and sand available that they dust bathe in regularly which can greatly reduce a pest infestation. Once you have an infestation, you need to look at other alternatives and usually that involves chemicals.

I was just inquiring as to how it works. It could be that you have avoided a pest infestation up to this point and the saturday lime is just a product you use. I use barn lime as well, but I wouldn't trust it as pest control. I don't sprinkle it on the chickens though. However, I also have dirt and sand available that they dust bathe in regularly which can greatly reduce a pest infestation. Once you have an infestation, you need to look at other alternatives and usually that involves chemicals.
Ok.

Back
Top Bottom