Lice/Mite problem....

Quote:
This might be a stupid question: i'm using permethrin (0.25%) dust tomorrow to dust my coop and birds. Do i need to use a face mask and gloves and stuff? Is it going to hurt me?

It's not a stupid question. I always use gloves in case I get a scratch and sometimes a face mask when cleaning out my coop. I dusted yesterday for spiders and bugs, cleaned really well and dusted with Sevin dust. I did have all the doors open tho so dust was at a minimum. I don't use a mask when dusting my birds. It's just a good precautionary method tho so you don't get sick yourself or breath in too many dust particles.

I don't wear a mask if I am just sprinkling the pyrth. stuff in the bedding. I am careful not to get it on my skin. This is the same stuff that is some of the human lice treatments. I would at least wear gloves. If you think you might inhale some then wear a mask.

I used 7 dust once without gloves or mask and had a bad reaction. I can't even get near it now. I would wear gloves and a mask with the 7 dust.
Some people might not get sick or have an adverse reaction but why risk it? Better safe than sorry.

ok maybe this is a stupid question...can we catch lice from them? I have never seen them on my birds or seen them scratching but boy they sure love their dust baths?? mites? does anyone have any photos of these so I can look for them-if I use DE ( which I do) liberally in runs/nests/pens/ and on birds-can they still get them??? I am itching thinking about it! ahhh

Quote:
I`ve never really cared enough to differentiate between lice and mites, but I can tell ya that if the fowl have them, they will get on you and itch you silly until you get a hot shower and throw your clothes outside. The experts say humans can`t get them. Maybe not, but they sure crawl on ya til you think ya gott`m. I hate the nasty little blood suckers.

To check your birds for them, pick the bird off the roost at night and look around the vent and under the tail with a flashlight. If they are there, you`ll see them scurrying for cover. Hope ya never get them, but that`s like saying I hope you never have to pay your taxes.......Pop

Quote:
I`ve never really cared enough to differentiate between lice and mites, but I can tell ya that if the fowl have them, they will get on you and itch you silly until you get a hot shower and throw your clothes outside. The experts say humans can`t get them. Maybe not, but they sure crawl on ya til you think ya gott`m. I hate the nasty little blood suckers.

To check your birds for them, pick the bird off the roost at night and look around the vent and under the tail with a flashlight. If they are there, you`ll see them scurrying for cover. Hope ya never get them, but that`s like saying I hope you never have to pay your taxes.......Pop

I mean seriously I am always walkign around with my babies and kissing them too off and on all day..Today wa s aclean up coop -I have never throughly dusted my birds,.. I just figured that the DE dust bath they take and in te dirt would be good enough?? no huhu? nasty critters bleah,...

Quote:

I mean seriously I am always walkign around with my babies and kissing them too off and on all day..Today wa s aclean up coop -I have never throughly dusted my birds,.. I just figured that the DE dust bath they take and in te dirt would be good enough?? no huhu? nasty critters bleah,...

DE won`t stop an infestation, but it is a good deterrent. If your birds have them, you will know.......Pop

If you walk around with them then get into the habit of tipping them so their beaks face the ground and the vent area is near your face. LOL Part the feathers and look around the vent area. Here, we have northern fowl mites. They are dark brown. You will either see the bugs near the vent or you may see a powdery substance starting at the base of the feather and going up. It makes the feathers look darker. Sometimes the feathers won't look powdery (early infestation) you will just see dark things in the feathers. If it is dirt you can pick it off. If it is a fowl mite it sill stick to the feathers. They may even burrow deeper as you try to pick them off. Sometimes is is helpful to go into the coop at night when they are roosting and gently part the vent feathers and look with a light. I think the red mites are best seem at night.
As far as lice..I can't remember as well. I know there are egg sacks that attack to the feather shafts. I think they are bigger.

I always check my arms when I've been around the chickens. The mites will crawl up your arm. They don't live on us but they will make you itchy as previously said until you jump in the shower.
I keep a bottle of adams flea and tick spray (best to buy the kind that has skillstop) by the coop and spray under the birds wing (one wing) and one spray on the head (I have silkies). I do this every couple of weeks just to help prevent the mites. Wild birds carry mites to the birds so if wild birds can get into the coop it is worse for getting mites. At least that has been my experience.
It truly is much easier to prevent than treat. My poor birds are so used to Butt and Crest checks. I also eprinex twice a year.

Plus if your birds free range your birds will get the mites. I dust my birds weather i see the mites or not because they free ranged and i dont want them getting them. Im kind of a freak about bitting bugs...yuck

I noticed a lot of folks recommending the use of the product 'sevin' Just wondering if anyone is concerned about the toxicity and long life of this product. Is there a less toxic solution..... I mean, we are going to eat the eggs or meat ? right ???

Back
Top Bottom