Lice or Mites?

DragonEggs

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Borger, TX
I've never had a problem with lice or mites before so I don't know exactly which these are, but I know its something. Some of my birds have dry pox sores and while taking them out today to dab the sores with iodine I noticed sme hard crusty stuff in my Americaunas beard. I thought it was food but it wouldn't wash out. THen I realized they looked like little egg sacks and I started cutting them out. I think I cut them all out and burned them. I checked all my other birds but only the roo she hangs out with, a white silkie, had some in his beard too. I cut those and burned them. I noticed one very tiny pinkish or reddish thing crawling on his earlobe. It was so small I think the only reason I noticed it was because it's color contradicted his earlobes so much. I checked all the other birds but no sign of anything. I tried to take some pics with my camera phone but they're really blurry. I'll post them anyway.

This was the americaunas beard (before I cut it). You can sorta see the white lumps in it through the fuzz.

57215_mites2.jpg

This is a picture of the white lumps after I cut them out before I burned them all.

57215_mites.jpg

Any idea what I have and what to do about it? THANKS!!!

If your finding white egg sacks, then they are lice. Mites are red and the bird would look more peppered (for lack of a better term).

Back
Top Bottom