Lice treatment?

Nesi

Chirping
Jun 29, 2017
Red Bank ,TN
I've discovered lice on a few of my ladies. They share the same house so I'm sure it's going to spread to everyone if I don't go ahead and do treatment and preventive treatment for the other in a different house. My only worry is, I have 5 cats. What can I use that will effectively kill the bugs but not my cats? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't have cats...

But LOVE using permethrin SPRAY not dust. I feel as though the dust is difficult to get to the skin and then still shakes out like crazy afterwards. The spray has been VERY effective, but I don't know what the label says regarding felines.

Yes, ALWAYS treat everyone... or I agree and think it will concentrate to the others. Since my flock is large sometimes I have to treat different coops on consecutive nights, but that's still close enough. I spray inside lay boxes and the floor as well and sometimes under the roost though red roost mites haven't been an issue thus far.

Wish I could be more helpful as to whether it was safe for your kitty or not. I would suspect the spray to be safer than the dust since the cat won't be licking the chickens. :confused:

Best wishes getting rid of them buggers! Good looking out. :highfive:

As long as you don't put it on your cat, you should be fine. You have to treat the birds, totally clean out the coop, destroy the bedding, and repeat the entire process again 7 - 10 days later.

Try tractor supplyfor the permethrin 10% concentrate. It mixes to make many gallons. The brand I use calls for 1/2 tsp per gallon, and I use a spray bottle. For treating the coop, you can use a gallon garden sprayer. Lice require treatment at 10 day intervals at least twice to get the newly hatched eggs before they reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom