Lice

Permethrin spray concentrate is inexpensive and effective, and labeled for use on poultry and in poultry housing, with no egg withdrawal. Spinosad is also safe and effective, and very expensive, and has to be ordered online most often.
DE and the Davis product are pretty ineffective, as you've discovered.
Mites and lice come in on wild birds, and it can be a real pain to keep those cute little songbirds out of the coop, when they find the chicken feed!
If one bird has either mites or lice, assume everyone also has them, and treat the flock and their coop.
Mary
So I purchased Martins permethrin concentrate, it says to use on poultry house but doesn’t say anything about being able to spray in the birds themselves, is this still ok?

Permethrin is my go to product for mites and lice. Also there is no egg withdrawal period. Most poultry dusts have permethrin as their active ingredient. You do need to do repeated treatments weekly for 3 or 4 weeks because it does not kill the pests eggs, available at TSC and other feed stores. Good luck...
ChickenMites.jpg
Permethrin-10.jpg

Attachments

• GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    GordonPoultryDust.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
  • permethrin spray.jpg
    permethrin spray.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1
  • permethrinDust - Copy.jpg
    permethrinDust - Copy.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    PermethrinSpraya.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PermethrinSprayB.jpg
    PermethrinSprayB.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1
As long as the poultry spray does not contain petroleum distillates, you can drench a chicken safely. You won't get rid of lice by just spraying the coop as lice live on the chicken not in the coop. Mites, however, live in the coop and only come out at night to feed on the chickens.

I have never had lice or mites because I'm proactive with Martin's 13.3 permethrin. Mixing instructions for treating the coop for mites, lice or flies is stronger than what they say for spraying the birds.
I treat the coop wood, roost, nesting box every month or at least every other month . I spray the birds a little as they pass by every fourth month. I always hear the red mites and lice are bad around here from chicken folk I meet at the feed store. I ask them if they have use the martins 13.3 or spray regular maintenance ? "No" or I use DE earth or other power.
Spray coop once a week for three weeks then once a month . Spray/ mist birds under wings and down back once a week for two weeks then again in three weeks. That should put an end to this no problem.
That is the martins 13.3 not the Martins 10. Pay attention to that as they are on the same shelf . You want the 13.3

Martins 13.3 permethrin is all you need to know. Mix as directed and Spray under wings and down the back. If it is warm enough where you are dip the bird. It is safe and no egg withholding. DE is a deterrent at best and will not "treat" a thing.

Permethrin 10 will work too. I have used it whenever I have had any pests. It's also good for eliminating flies during fly season.

I think DE is a waste of time. I have never had good luck using it. Permethrin 10 will work too. I have used it whenever I have had any pests, which isn't often. It's also good for eliminating flies during fly season. Good luck...

I sprayed her there with Davis Poultry Spray which was recommended here...the next day, Sunday, my big cleaning day, there were more and another hen has a few...I thought I was winning the war...should I just keep at it vigilantly??
Is not much more effective than DE....it's just some essential oils.

Can you get permethrin where you are @LRavis ?
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1608047632211.png

Back
Top Bottom