Liege Fighter

Should be able to tell by 6weeks or so once feathered in and comb development if not usually by 12wk saddle feathers are prompt.
I also played the “your comb is big and bright but I’m going to look the other way and hope you don’t get saddle feathers” game and lost that one earlier today too... going to call that game cock a doodle BOO... I suppose what I should have said was 1cock2hens
I saw that greenfire farms is going to have The Liege Fighter, aka Luikse Vechter / anybody have any info on this bird and it's temperament towards other fowl? Website says they are generally friendly to people but doesn't mention if they are aggressive towards other birds/ I imagine they would be since they are gamefowl. Any other information about them would be wonderful too, I would love to see pics if any of our overseas members have them, they are absolutely gorgeous birds
So far after a month they aren’t fighting anywhere near as much as the cemani were, they battled from day one. Only time will tell if it’s due to the lack of testosterone or because they are going to be sweet as sugar pie.

They have a strong oriental game influence. At least the ones in Belgium do, don't know what the GF birds are like. If they are like any other breed with strong oriental game influence they should be really friendly towards people, and not so much towards each other, and it has little to do with testosterone, as the hens will fight as well. It has more to do with a heightened awareness of personal space. Games of any kind are no more likely to have disputes, they are just less likely to cease disputing once engaged.

How energetic and curious are they? I've got a Malay pullet, and I'm wondering if their temperament is similar. My Malay pullet, Noel, is amazingly tame, and is fearless and in to everything.

These are my Belgian Liege Fighters. Not from Greenfire farms. These Liege are from stock from Brussels Belgium. They are very human friendly. The roosters are very protective of their flock, but a little temperamental towards Guinea Fowl, Pea Fowl, Ducks, Turkeys, and definitely will kill other roosters, anything PREDATORIAL ie Hawks, Snakes, Skunks, Rats, Opossums, Minks, Weasels, Raccoons, Cats, and have even seen Liege Fighter roosters chasing Dogs, and Coyotes away. Great protectors for your flock, but still gentle enough for a 4 year old to just pick up and take him for a bear hug LOVE MY GEORGE walk. These are an endangered chicken breed, and one breed that is a must have. They can reach a size of 12+ lbs (one roo is 15 lbs, and my other is 12 lbs. Hen is 11 lbs), and the stand between 2.5 - 3 feet tall. Their best feature is their LARGE powerful feet, and thick powerful legs. Extremely muscled body, and powerful bird. They are great cold weather birds, they come from Belgium after all (very cold in Belgium during the winter).

Attachments

• 20210306_102946.jpg
    20210306_102946.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 20210224_134443.jpg
    20210224_134443.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20210306_102742.jpg
    20210306_102742.jpg
    687.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20210224-182142_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210224-182142_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
These are my Belgian Liege Fighters. Not from Greenfire farms. These Liege are from stock from Brussels Belgium. They are very human friendly. The roosters are very protective of their flock, but a little temperamental towards Guinea Fowl, Pea Fowl, Ducks, Turkeys, and definitely will kill other roosters, anything PREDATORIAL ie Hawks, Snakes, Skunks, Rats, Opossums, Minks, Weasels, Raccoons, Cats, and have even seen Liege Fighter roosters chasing Dogs, and Coyotes away. Great protectors for your flock, but still gentle enough for a 4 year old to just pick up and take him for a bear hug LOVE MY GEORGE walk. These are an endangered chicken breed, and one breed that is a must have. They can reach a size of 12+ lbs (one roo is 15 lbs, and my other is 12 lbs. Hen is 11 lbs), and the stand between 2.5 - 3 feet tall. Their best feature is their LARGE powerful feet, and thick powerful legs. Extremely muscled body, and powerful bird. They are great cold weather birds, they come from Belgium after all (very cold in Belgium during the winter).
Your birds are beautiful. This breed intrigues me and I am considering them as a retirement project in a couple of years. Given their size, what kind of starter/grower feed do you give them as chicks in terms of protein percentage?

Your comment about Belgium being cold reminded me of my Dad who participated in the Battle of the Bulge battles there in WWII. He said it was the coldest he had ever been in his life and that he didn't care for snow after that either. I also recall him mentioning that he saw the biggest chickens he had ever seen there.

Your birds are beautiful. This breed intrigues me and I am considering them as a retirement project in a couple of years. Given their size, what kind of starter/grower feed do you give them as chicks in terms of protein percentage?

Your comment about Belgium being cold reminded me of my Dad who participated in the Battle of the Bulge battles there in WWII. He said it was the coldest he had ever been in his life and that he didn't care for snow after that either. I also recall him mentioning that he saw the biggest chickens he had ever seen there.
I give my chicks Purina 30% protein Game Bird chick started crumbles due to them being huge birds. Then would change to a 24% chick finisher crumbles once full feathered by 8 weeks till 6 months, then switch them to an adult game bird feed over 20% protein. A separate feeder for grit, and a separate feeder for oyster shell. They love plain baked fish, and scrambled eggs from time to time. Fruits, and veggies are good too.

I give my chicks Purina 30% protein Game Bird chick started crumbles due to them being huge birds. Then would change to a 24% chick finisher crumbles once full feathered by 8 weeks till 6 months, then switch them to an adult game bird feed over 20% protein. A separate feeder for grit, and a separate feeder for oyster shell. They love plain baked fish, and scrambled eggs from time to time. Fruits, and veggies are good too.
Thanks for the information.

More pics of my Belgian Liege Fighters

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210314-093108_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-093108_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot_20210314-092858_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-092858_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20210314-092211_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20210314-092211_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47