Life Change Time.....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Minflick, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Been thinking of you, Minflick - I hope that todays talk with your youngest and her husband brings good news.

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    You have so much stress and grief right now, be sure to eat and sleep and avoid the flu.
    I hope you are well.[​IMG]

3. Minflick

Minflick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Boulder Creek, California
    Well, after calling the mortgage company, and American Express, and having a melt down on the phone, I called my mother and asked to borrow a butt load of money. It was either that or be evicted down the line, and .... I have the money. I've paid the mortgage for the next 2 months, I've paid all the utilities current (all of them were past due, dammit!). DD#3 and her husband will be moving in the first of April.

So, it's going to be tight, but I think we'll be OK. Now that the financial panic is lifted, I can handle everything else I have to handle.

AmEx was actually really nice, and told me that since my name wasn't ON the card, I'm not liable for the bill! Hotcha! With everything else, as long as I can stay current, that's good enough for now. I need to do other stuff for long term, but I don't need to do it right this minute.

I'm going back to work on Tuesday, I've had enough time alone, and I've gotten done most of what I HAVE to get done asap. Thanks for the good thoughts!

Melinda

4. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Melinda - your mention of the utility bills struck a chord with me - I would suggest you contact your local LIHEAP service provider and apply for energy assistance. http://www.liheapch.acf.hhs.gov/profiles/California.htm -- your situation is exactly the sort of situation the program is for (imho as someone who works for the program) I know you got them caught up, but this sort of help can help you keep a little breathing room and stretch what resources you do have a little farther.

5. Minflick

Jul 26, 2014
    Cool, every little bit helps, thanks so much for the link!

6. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

Quote:Where did you get your info on ss widow benefits? my mother got them at 58 so I would personally go to the ss office and make them tell you face to face, ask foe a supervisor if you get no the first time. edited to say the law has changed, it is 60 now unless you are disabled. sorry

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  7. Minflick

Jul 26, 2014
    From the person at the SSA counter who helped me. Keep in mind that the age of eligibility has been changed over the years, and retirement age gets set older and older as the baby boomers age into it. Truthfully, I'd like to hold off collecting for several more years, if I can swing it, because my benefits will be greater if I can wait. If I start collecting now, then I only get checks for, I think he said, 8 months of the year. I KNOW it isn't for the full 12 months of the year. I have a job, even if I don't earn a hell of a lot, and that's enough to take away several months of SS payments. I asked why they couldn't just reduce the amount given to me per month and spread it out over all 12 months of the year, and he said that not what they do.

I have an appointment in March when I should have all the documents I need to proceed, and I can then ask more questions. I have to go to the county and get a copy of my marriage certificate. We had it at one point, but it got lost somewhere along the line. I'm still waiting for the county to issue the death certificate, they're very slow.....

Melinda

8. Minflick

Jul 26, 2014
    I sold his car for $100 today. I would have sold it back to the State, but to do that the car has to run, and his has a frozen wheel. Sigh. It's a good thing to have done, but now I'm all depressed.

[​IMG]

Melinda

9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

10. Minflick

Jul 26, 2014
    Thanks, Grey Mare! this (fecal matter) is HARD! My 87 year old mother isn't supposed to outlive my HUSBAND.....

Sigh. I'll stop whining and just go to bed soon... I have to be up at 5:30 tomorrow to get to work on time. I'm glad to go back, but it's going to be really really strange at the same time. At least I have a job to go back TO....

Melinda

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by