Life With The Flock: Lacy Duckwing's Flock Thread

Update:

The past couple of days have been warmer out, which has been very good for my hen Rocky. I put a saddle on her to hopefully keep her warmer as well. The other day I finally got my heated waterer set up. Every morning I test the extension cord to make sure there is power. It still occasionally freezes, but today it didn't at all. I got a base for it, so I think that helps.

I had some issue with my flock's combs. Something was cutting them, but I couldn't find what it was. Recently, I had to remove a door from their coop to stop Jewels from roosting on it. Now, my flock's combs are looking much better. Some of them still have a couple of cuts, and Aundria looks like she had a fresh one, so I don't think I've completely fixed the problem, yet. Beth's comb is looking great and Penny's is almost there.

During the night and this morning, we got some snow, which made everything pretty. I took Jewels out to get some pictures of her because of that. Jewels typically does horrible with my camera, but winter is when she succeeds. It's because of her color. My camera can't pick her up properly because (I think) it thinks she's wood or leaves. Thus, never focusing on her. During the winter, my camera can focus on her well, and she takes really good pictures.

Today, I took Jewels over on an old logging trail by my house. I found a nice cut-down branch/tree and put her on it. She wasn't as happy about it as she was last year. She complained. That didn't stop me from taking pictures, so she kept trying to turn her fluffy bum-bum feathers towards me. That didn't completely work either. The sun was shining, so she also kept shutting her third eye-lid. She wasn't good at looking at the camera either, but the barking of a neighbor's dog gave me a couple of good shots with Jewels.

After I took pictures of Jewels, I hung out in my flock's winter run for a few minutes.
I took some pictures of my flock while I was in there, and a couple of videos. Beth stuck close by me like usual. Her and Shiloh ate snow off of my boots. Most of the flock tried having Quiet Hour, but Princess disturbed it a little by complaining, and Nightfall crowed a few times. They eventually took Quiet Hour a little while later.

Pictures of Jewels:
IMG_6651.JPG

Jewels' fluffy bum-bum feathers:
IMG_6725.JPG

Jewels feet :love :
IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG

IMG_6925.JPG

Princess behind Nightfall:
IMG_7083.JPG
Quiet Hour:
IMG_7096.JPG
IMG_7102.JPG

If anything ever happens to my camera lens, I'll know who did it. :rolleyes: :
IMG_7032.JPG

Adorable Nightfall:
IMG_7117.JPG

Video of Nightfall crowing:

Update:

The past couple of days have been warmer out, which has been very good for my hen Rocky. I put a saddle on her to hopefully keep her warmer as well. The other day I finally got my heated waterer set up. Every morning I test the extension cord to make sure there is power. It still occasionally freezes, but today it didn't at all. I got a base for it, so I think that helps.

I had some issue with my flock's combs. Something was cutting them, but I couldn't find what it was. Recently, I had to remove a door from their coop to stop Jewels from roosting on it. Now, my flock's combs are looking much better. Some of them still have a couple of cuts, and Aundria looks like she had a fresh one, so I don't think I've completely fixed the problem, yet. Beth's comb is looking great and Penny's is almost there.

During the night and this morning, we got some snow, which made everything pretty. I took Jewels out to get some pictures of her because of that. Jewels typically does horrible with my camera, but winter is when she succeeds. It's because of her color. My camera can't pick her up properly because (I think) it thinks she's wood or leaves. Thus, never focusing on her. During the winter, my camera can focus on her well, and she takes really good pictures.

Today, I took Jewels over on an old logging trail by my house. I found a nice cut-down branch/tree and put her on it. She wasn't as happy about it as she was last year. She complained. That didn't stop me from taking pictures, so she kept trying to turn her fluffy bum-bum feathers towards me. That didn't completely work either. The sun was shining, so she also kept shutting her third eye-lid. She wasn't good at looking at the camera either, but the barking of a neighbor's dog gave me a couple of good shots with Jewels.

After I took pictures of Jewels, I hung out in my flock's winter run for a few minutes.
I took some pictures of my flock while I was in there, and a couple of videos. Beth stuck close by me like usual. Her and Shiloh ate snow off of my boots. Most of the flock tried having Quiet Hour, but Princess disturbed it a little by complaining, and Nightfall crowed a few times. They eventually took Quiet Hour a little while later.

Pictures of Jewels:
View attachment 2972449
Jewels' fluffy bum-bum feathers: View attachment 2972450
Jewels feet :love :View attachment 2972451
View attachment 2972453
View attachment 2972452
View attachment 2972454
Princess behind Nightfall:View attachment 2972457Quiet Hour: View attachment 2972465View attachment 2972467
If anything ever happens to my camera lens, I'll know who did it. :rolleyes: :
View attachment 2972468
Adorable Nightfall:
View attachment 2972466

Video of Nightfall crowing:

Gorgeous! Jewels is beautiful!

What breed is Nightfall? His crow seems nice. Way more “masculine” than my Checkers :lol:
His father is an EE and his mother is a Rhode Island Blue. His crow might be masculine, but he's actually a coward. A couple of the hens even beat him up. :rolleyes:

His father is an EE and his mother is a Rhode Island Blue. His crow might be masculine, but he's actually a coward. A couple of the hens even beat him up. :rolleyes:
Interesting. Thanks for telling me about Rhode Island blues, never knew they were a thing.

At least he crows normally. I mean, just look at this! The 1st pic is how he starts, and the 2nd, how he continues.

Attachments

• 7CD453AE-A806-4991-9223-AAF6925FB9E2.jpeg
    7CD453AE-A806-4991-9223-AAF6925FB9E2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 2A398F8B-FB71-4856-A492-085D9FEF0A81.jpeg
    2A398F8B-FB71-4856-A492-085D9FEF0A81.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Interesting. Thanks for telling me about Rhode Island blues, never knew they were a thing.

At least he crows normally. I mean, just look at this! The 1st pic is how he starts, and the 2nd, how he continues.
Yep!

Silly rooster. Someday I hope to get one of those. You're welcome to share a video of your rooster crowing. I'd love to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom