Lifespan of chickens?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicken D's mom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Ten years old, hatchery black giant, lays an XL egg every day.

[​IMG]

She is also boss hen.

1 person likes this.
  2. According th the now defunct Feathered Warrior gamefowl journal, the oldest chicken on record was a game hen that lived to the ripe old age of 25..........Pop

3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I believe that BYC member Bantymum from Australia had a BO "Goldilocks" that lived to be 17 years old.

4. dtchick

dtchick In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Birch Run Farm - what a gorgeous big black hen. She definitely looks like the "boss hen" too!!

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I have a friend that had a rooster that was 16+ when he died. He was one mean guy. We got one of his sons and unfortunately he had that same mean streak as his Dad did. I have some RSL that I am not sure how old they actually are, I do know they don't lay eggs every single day because their eggs are the biggest of all of my hens. So i agree it may vary on the breed, genetics, etc....

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:she is beautiful! I have a few White jersey giants and they are still toddlers. LOL 1 year and 3 months. I hope mine will live that long:) Has yours gone broody before? I have 3 now and one just left their babies 2 weeks ago. Mine are very very good Mommas.

7. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Songster

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I had a EE that lived to be 18. I have hens laying in their 6th year just as well as any pullet. They will lay until they die of old age but their cycles become shorter and shorter and their eggs tend to get misshapen...Lumpy or lopsided from a "worn out" oviduct. Hattrick sold some 2 year old buffs for $300-$600 so they are by no means over the hill after their first year.

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Quote:she is beautiful! I have a few White jersey giants and they are still toddlers. LOL 1 year and 3 months. I hope mine will live that long:) Has yours gone broody before? I have 3 now and one just left their babies 2 weeks ago. Mine are very very good Mommas.

Yes, she does get broody but not yet this year. She is an awesome momma too. Last year she raised 11 chicks from one hatch.

9. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:Actually, people with show chickens cull their chickens after one year. Once they stop laying, there is no value. You cant get any good offspring off of her so whats the point of keeping her. Also, after so many years, they just dont look as fresh and good as they do when they were younger. Like silkies, they blossom when they are around 8 months. After that, they arent as good.

I have to disagree. Some breeds do not fully mature until they are 2 or even 3 years old. 5 years is about the general guide. That being said, if a bird is exceptionally good, I will keep it around. Just in case it lays the odd egg now and then, but mainly for sentimental reasons. Some of us do get attached to our birds.

Some people still show their birds after 8 years. I know my Minorca hen was still taking 1st in APA shows after her 8th year. Sure, she wasn't laying, but the prize money was still nice to have to buy some feed with.

10. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Actually, people with show chickens cull their chickens after one year. Once they stop laying, there is no value. You cant get any good offspring off of her so whats the point of keeping her. Also, after so many years, they just dont look as fresh and good as they do when they were younger. Like silkies, they blossom when they are around 8 months. After that, they arent as good.

I have to disagree. Some breeds do not fully mature until they are 2 or even 3 years old. 5 years is about the general guide. That being said, if a bird is exceptionally good, I will keep it around. Just in case it lays the odd egg now and then, but mainly for sentimental reasons. Some of us do get attached to our birds.

Some people still show their birds after 8 years. I know my Minorca hen was still taking 1st in APA shows after her 8th year. Sure, she wasn't laying, but the prize money was still nice to have to buy some feed with.

Most chickens keep laying past there 1st year at least all of mine have. Especially if your breeding for show if you get a good bird you don't cull them after one year. The bird can't even be show as a hen until its over 1 year old so that doesn't make any sense to me. Even my production birds like leghorns and redstars are still good layers into there second and third years and heritage breeds keep laying longer then that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: