Lifespan of chickens?

Chicken D's mom

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 17, 2009
I would like to know how long chickens will live under good care. I haven't seen anything regarding the life spans of chickens, but am guessing it varies by breed.
I have Easter eggers, Sexlinks RR's & Rw"s, a Japanese Bantam, a barred plymouth Roo, and an egger/black cochin mix.

I would like to know how long they can live, especially my Roo who is a year and a half old. My roo is very tame and friendly and my good little buddy.

Chicken D's mom :

I would like to know how long chickens will live under good care. I haven't seen anything regarding the life spans of chickens, but am guessing it varies by breed.
I have Easter eggers, Sexlinks RR's & Rw"s, a Japanese Bantam, a barred plymouth Roo, and an egger/black cochin mix.

I would like to know how long they can live, especially my Roo who is a year and a half old. My roo is very tame and friendly and my good little buddy.

I've heard various stories of chickens living 8-12 years, some even longer. That's if predators and/or genetic health problems don't get them first - or someone looking to make dinner...​

chickens can easily live 10 years, some can exceed 15 years.
Most people who don't have 'pet chickens' or 'show chickens' will cull their chickens after about 5 years (cull being kill, eat, or rehome) because egg production diminishes so much and rooster fertility reduces (but I think roosters stay pretty good and fertile for quite a long time past 5 yrs, but my experience with people in my parts they cull their birds around the 5 yr mark
hu.gif
)

The norm is 5-7 years. Egg laying in heritage breeds decreases considerably after the 2nd-3rd year and roos fertility drops off after 5 years. High production breeds (ISA, sex-links and leghorns) egg laying drops off in the second year and after that they are not worth feeding to get eggs, but they would be fine to just keep as pets.

Most people who don't have 'pet chickens' or 'show chickens' will cull their chickens after about 5 years

Actually, people with show chickens cull their chickens after one year. Once they stop laying, there is no value. You cant get any good offspring off of her so whats the point of keeping her. Also, after so many years, they just dont look as fresh and good as they do when they were younger. Like silkies, they blossom when they are around 8 months. After that, they arent as good.​

I had a dominant Roo live 5 years, then died trying to keep up with the younger Roos. Died happy I guess, looked like a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom