Light Brahma?

Ziphie

Chirping
Apr 24, 2017
Good morning BYC! Long time lurker, first time poster :)
I have a question for all you chicken experts out there. I am still a fairly new chicken mom, just got my second round of chicks from TSC this past march to go with my 3 older ladies that have slowed down a bit, but sadly 2 weeks after they moved out of the house a fox had himself a lovely little breakfast and I lost 3 of the 6 chicks and wouldn't you know 2 of the 3 I have left ended up being cockerels.
After reading up on online hatcheries I went with a small order from My Pet Chicken, since I needed to get my new boys collars to keep our neighbors happy. I ordered 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock and 2 Light Brahmas. The first 2 are easy but after a little research I am questioning if I even got Brahmas. I have read that Brahmas have feathered feet from the start and mine are 16 days and their legs are clean. I have emailed them but I am still waiting for a reply.
Meanwhile I was hoping someone out there could give me some insight on if in fact they are Brahmas or a mix or if I got something completely different than what I ordered. After looking at the pictures on their website i'm starting to lean towards a Columbian Wyandotte as they do look similar minus the feathered feet. Also having some concern that one is feathering much faster than the other, i'm just hoping I have myself a late bloomer.

Attachments

• Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 19
  • chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Chick1x.jpg
    Chick1x.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 16
  • chick2.jpg
    chick2.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 16
  • chick2x.jpg
    chick2x.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 15
In the future, visit a local store (Like tractor supply or Rural king or a feed store if you have one) to get small flocks. My pet chickne is not known for being a very good place for chick buying. I am not 100% sure, but i think thats a pullet. Does it stand any taller that the others? and Does its but stick out as much as the others?

I was fully expecting to see a single comb... The Wyandotte is still a possibility, since a rose comb can start out looking similar to a pea, at least in my opinion... So, yes... my brahmas had feathers on their legs from the start... This could be something else, or a badly bred brahma... You can see below, this is one of my chics at 3 weeks and at 4 weeks... and you can see the feathers down the legs to the feet.
Outside2.jpeg
Resized_20170519_154257.jpeg

In the future, visit a local store (Like tractor supply or Rural king or a feed store if you have one) to get small flocks. My pet chickne is not known for being a very good place for chick buying. I am not 100% sure, but i think thats a pullet. Does it stand any taller that the others? and Does its but stick out as much as the others?

I am not very good at subtle chick clues yet, to me they all look pretty similar in posture, but then so did my last batch and at least 2 ended up as cockerels. My local TSC was selling black sex link pullets but they turned out to be cockerels. They all had the dot on their heads, again being a chicken newbie I didn't find out until after they were a couple weeks old so I am glad I only got 1, but hes a sweet boy so its ok :)

Yes those are Columbian Wyandottes. I would call and get a refund or have them re-ship what you ordered.

I finally got a reply and you are correct. They are offering me a refund or replacement plus 1 if I choose. So I am hoping to have some new little peeps in a week or 2. Now to wait and see if i just have a late bloomer or another cockerel

Thank you everyone for your replies:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom