Light colored Easter Egger: Cockerel or Pullet? (w/new pics @post #20)

GardeNerd

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was sure this chicken was a pullet until about 3 weeks ago, but now I have serious doubts! Is this Easter Egger a male or a female?

As a chick, it was kind of pale buff and grey colored. Its hatch date is July 19th. It came in a bantam assortment from Ideal Poultry, but as you might be able to see in one of the photos, in comparison to bantam cochin hens, it is a little larger than my other bantams.
20741_p1270455.jpg

It has been mostly lavender gray with accents of yellow and a little buff around the neck and chest. Then it started getting a slate colored head around 6 weeks old. Now it has reddish patches in the shoulders and wings. Ugh Oh! I have read in one thread, EEs are males when they are light colored like this one, especially with the red on the wings. Is this always the case? The comb is still very pale and tiny, and kind of looks like a single row. I don't see any hackles or saddle feathers that scream rooster yet. It is 13 weeks old yesterday. Has anyone else had one similar colored EE that ended up being a pullet?

20741_p1280159.jpg

20741_p1280169.jpg

20741_p1280143.jpg

We aren't zoned to keep "crowing fowl." We will have to find it a new home if it is a male. I usually try to rehome the roosters before they start crowing since I don't want to disturb the neighbors or my husband with 4 AM wakeup calls from the coop. Any input on gender? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Well, while I was away for the weekend, we got the definitive answer on this chicken's gender.

When I got home, my son gave me a great big hug, a wry smile, and presented me with a GREEN EGG. None of my bantam cochins could have laid that! Yeah!!!! Its a pullet! I was doing the happy dance.

I really wasn't expecting her to lay (if she really was a pullet) just yet since she hasn't been squatting so far, or noisy, or even very red or large in the comb. She is just over 20 weeks old by a few days. She isn't as big as a large fowl size Easter Egger or Ameraucana hen, but she is still a bit large for a bantam, weighing in around 3 1/2 lbs. She is a little taller than my Cochin bantams, too. If it wasn't pouring rain right now, I would try to get a more recent photos of her. She still looks a lot like the above photos.

Thank you to all the posters for the input and comments on the gender. The pullet votes helped eased my worries and kept me from starting to look for a rooster friendly home prematurely.

Back
Top Bottom