Light/Heat Idea...Opinions?

I have Dominigues, Buff Brahmas, Red & Black Sex Link, Orpington, Wyndotte (he was my freebie!). All of these breeds are supposed to do well in colder climates! You are wise to do the insulation when you first do your coop. We were going too, and DH let it get too late. Now he doesn't think it would help....I tend to disagree, but they are doing just fine. I agree with the zero temp and using heat.
I believe in re-using anything for your coop. My nesting boxes were made from a 100 year old log cabin! I think it is great if you can use the Christmas lights, please go with the more experienced people here on BYC, I am just a newbie myself! I am one of those people who uses a learner's manual, then I follow it! My husband doesn't read the books, he is my "builder", I have compromised a lot! My runs are not what I first planned on! Theresa

I did the same as you, I joinded BYC last November (08), ordered my chickens online. You get a lot of useful ideas and answers here on BYC. I loved looking at the coops that people have built. We (me really) wanted my DH to build the coop, but we got a ready made shed that has a hay loft in it. it has worked well for us. Good luck with your planning! It is fun to be able to go each day and get your eggs while they are still warm from the hen! Theresa

Here is what I use. It is a ceramic heater bulb in my Brooder Lamp. The heater bulbs gives off no light and are used for reptiles so you can find them at your local pet supply store or online. They are not cheap but they also do not burn out like a bulb does. I have had mine for 3 years now and it still works like a champ. Keeps my coop warm durning the winter and also my brooder warm when I have chicks.

Important info..... If you do buy one of these heater blubs PLEASE make sure your Brooder Lamp has a ceramic screw in for the bulb NOT plastic as it will melt. I also wrap the bar guard with chicken wire. Even though it is out of reach from my hens I feel better knowing they no matter what will not be able to touch the heater bulb. Hope this helps.
smile.png

Brooder Lamp
BrooderLamp2.jpg

Ceramic Heater Bulb
CE100Ceramic.jpg

Just another picture of a Ceramic Heater Bulb
ceramicheater.jpg

Last edited:
In general, yes it is true that if you want significant lamp wattage going for heating purposes, it is more fire-safe to use several lower-wattage bulbs rather than one high-wattage bulb... for instance, four 60w bulbs to (almost) equal the heat output of a 250w bulb. Because the lower wattage bulbs do not get as hot, there is less danger of fire. These can be red bulbs if you want -- if you look, you can find red bulbs in pretty much any wattage that regular bulbs come in.

I would not personally use christmas light strings for this purpose, however. THey do not have nearly as good a safety track record as regular light fixtures, and are not as durable (which is also a safety issue); it really does not take hardly any time to wire up several regular lightbulb fixtures, so I do not see that the minimal 'savings' in convenience from using a pre-made light string is really worth it.

And, of course, there are usually a lot of other things that IMO a person should be doing *before*, and quite often just plain instead of, using electric heating, if coop temperature is a concern.

JMHO,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom