Light/Heat Idea...Opinions?

lighthawk

Songster
10 Years
Dec 4, 2009
Gobles MI
I have been reading a lot about the dangers of adding heat lamps inside of a coop (fire hazzard condensation etc). I was thinking about those old style Xmas lights with the nite light sized bulbs. If one were to add a string of bulbs (red) under the roost they would give off a dim red glow and throw enough heat to slightly warm the roost at night.
I wouldnt attach them directly to the roost but to a small (3/4"x1") board shrouded with metal screen. For easy installation and removal. Has anyone tried anything such as this? Can anyone think of reasons it might be harmful? All opinions welcome.

Wow...how'd you even find those things. You don't see them around anymore. I'd make sure they were the outdoor kind first, because they are built more ruggedly. I don't see any problems with it with the safety precautions you've mentioned, although I'm not sure that it would be any safer than a heat lamp w/a guard on the cone??? I don't have humidity issues w/my heat lamp. It sounds festive at least...lol.

A Friend of mine used to string that type of light on a huge pine tree outside of a bank building every year then store them in his barn until the following year. The Bank sold the building and he was left with about 30 strands of lights. All in good working condition. Except the bulbs are all clear glass. I haven't looked to see how difficult it would be to find red bulbs but I'm not even going to waste my time depending on what the various opinions may be. Still planning the coop and trying to consider the best way to solve MANY problems.
Re: heat lamp... I feel it would concentrate a large ammount of light in a small area wheras this might spread a small amount over a larger area.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not sure how much heat you would get, but it's a sound idea. They do still sell the C-9 and C-7 strings and bulbs, so I would recommend getting a brand new set rather than using an old string.
Good luck, and please let us know how it works for you.

Last edited:
I have some help that might be useful- the red bulbs are readily available, at WalMart or online. If you have trouble finding them after all, the is a brand of glass paint called "Deka". It is usually sold in craft and stained glass stores. I have repainted many a bulb by dipping in Deka paint and hanging to dry.

When I lived in TX, we used to customize our light colors every year, depending upon our theme.

Last edited:
I have no experience with chickens and am attempting to anticipate any and (I know i't impossible) all problems. Thank you for the tip on buying bulbs and using paint.

Last edited:
I'll be happy to help you anyway I can! I think you have a pretty good idea there!

Last edited:
I thought I read in a chicken raising bood by Gail Damerow that you should not use any lights in the coop except for the infrared lights. Regular lights could cause pecking? (Not that MY chickens need another reason to peck each other when they are roosting!) I am NO expert, this is my first winter with chickens. I started in March/April, I did use a brooder light then, they were just babies! At what temperature should you heat the coop? Thanks, Theresa

I would have had no Idea that pecking might be the result. I wonder if anyone else seen evidence of this? I wouldn't even need the heat untill the night time temperatures reached 0 or below. I'm planning on barred rock pullets just because they are winter hardy and I plan to insulate the coop. I guess the temperature you should use heat depends on the breed and age of your birds and the size of the coop. I also plan to use a heated waterer. As I mentioned these are all plans I probably won't even start construction till we are a lot closer to spring. Many here have convinced me that chickens are a commitment that needs to be well thought out BEFORE I purchase a single chick. Thanks

It seems to me that I have read on here, and elsewhere, that using red bulbs helps reduce the pecking that can come from lighting the coop. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I use red in my coop, and all my girlies get along great.

Back
Top Bottom