Light Sussex Thread!!!

This is 'her' again.

That is weird Aussie Annie. the rounded ends on the hackle feathers says she's a girl. Boys have pointed ends to their hackle feathers. I think the shape of the tail says girl too. The comb definitely looks like a boy. Also no sweeping drape of saddle feathers like the boys have. Maybe she is a chimera? 2 sexes in one? I know it's very rare but does happen with chickens. Oh well, hope she lays some eggs for you. I know hens do crow, sometimes.
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Hi Anne,
What you have is a male bird. Since it has a large wattle and comb. I don't know about anyone else but whenever I get some chicks, the males always look like that and the hens always have smaller wattles and combs. Hope that helps!

Hello.
I recently hatched some barred Plymouth rocks, of six eggs, three hatched, two where BPRs but the third was very light. The seller (eBay eggs) says that it is a light Sussex, but since that judgement I believe my chick has been developing very unlike a light Sussex, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a thread in the what breed or gender section but wanted to ask the light Sussex people. I have 6 light Sussex that Weill hopefully be hatching tomorrow night so if it where a light Sussex it would have some company. Thanks.

Hello.
I recently hatched some barred Plymouth rocks, of six eggs, three hatched, two where BPRs but the third was very light. The seller (eBay eggs) says that it is a light Sussex, but since that judgement I believe my chick has been developing very unlike a light Sussex, please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a thread in the what breed or gender section but wanted to ask the light Sussex people. I have 6 light Sussex that Weill hopefully be hatching tomorrow night so if it where a light Sussex it would have some company. Thanks.

Light Sussex have white legs. Tho, the chicks can often have a yellow cast to their legs which turn white later on. Where's the black hackle? Light Sussex are not barred. Delawares are. If you don't see a black hackle real soon, that's problematic. Or if the chick is barred, it's a Delaware. A Delaware is the same color genotype as a Light Sussex but with the added barring gene.

Last edited:

I don't think it is a light Sussex, but it does have white legs, the colour has not come out well in the photo. I'm in the UK so I think a Delaware would be unlikely.
One of my light Sussex eggs has pipped, so hopefully I will have a (few) true LS shortly.

I don't think it is a light Sussex, but it does have white legs, the colour has not come out well in the photo. I'm in the UK so I think a Delaware would be unlikely.
One of my light Sussex eggs has pipped, so hopefully I will have a (few) true LS shortly.
Maybe she is a Light Sussex missing the Hackle Black gene? Grant says in his UK book, " 2st Century Poultry Breeding" that he believes that a Light Sussex without the proposed Hackle Black gene would not have a black hackle. You should send this pic of this chick to Grant Brereton and see what he has to say.
https://poultrykeeper.com/book-reviews/21st-century-poultry-breeding-book-review/
and his own website: http://www.gbpoultry.com/
Best,
Karen

Back
Top Bottom