lighting for a brooder room

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Absrana, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Absrana

Absrana Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    1] I wanted to know what kind of bulb I should use for the brooder room and the voltage of the bulb.
    2] can I use a normal light bulb for this maybe a lamp
    3] will the light hurt the chicks eyes if the light is to close to them
    cheers.

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What is your goal? Provide heat? Provide light? How many chicks? Size of brooder? How often will you be brooding? Many of us are now using heating pads for brooding. Best for small broods up to a max of 25 chicks. It gives a much more natural brood to the chicks without exposing them to the harsh lighting of a heat lamp that is on 24/7. The chicks have natural day/night cycles, and are able to self regulate their temps in a similar fashion to the "broody hen" experience. They feather out faster, and IMO are much more social, better behaved, more content.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I use a 125 watt heat bulb, I find the 250 watt ones to be too hot. You should buy an actual heat lamp, preferably with a ceramic socket as those made of plastic can melt. My lamp starts at about 2 1/2 feet away from the chicks and it gets raised a bit every week to lower the temperature, you should figure out the distance initially with a thermometer to get it set between 85-90 degrees. They get attached to their light and cry when it's unplugged. I haven't noticed it bothering their eyes or that it disrupts their sleep. By 2-4 weeks mine are outside for the day if it's warm enough, than back inside with their cozy light for the night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by