Lighting Rope / CFL / incandescent options

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gardengnomes, Oct 11, 2012.

1. gardengnomes

gardengnomes New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    Hello,

We are looking to add supplemental lighting to our coop area as the winter draws close.

Wanted to know if anyone has done experiments with rope lights, cfl, and incandescent lighting to determine what works best for egg production and behavior of the hens.

Does the spectrum matter for the hens to keep egg production up?

Are there any rope lighting setups recommended for a good value online?

We are going to run electrical for the coop this weekend. Solar would be fun but not willing to invest unless there is a tested solution for a good value.

Thank you for your help!

2. AVintageLife

AVintageLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    New Hampshire
    I'm in the same boat, need some extra morning and early afternoon lighting but I don't have electricity at my coop (not until next summer anyway, ssssshhhhh don't tell DH yet). I went to Home Depot today and found solar powered rope lighting (16 feet @ $24.99). Seemed reasonable and thought I could string a couple of strands all round the top inside of the coop. I didn't buy it because it stated on the box that the strand would get warm to the touch and that, combined with "Made in China" - I just couldn't do it. Visions of faulty manufacturing and the coop going up in flames. I found a solar powered shed light on amazon but reviews seem to suggest it isn't that bright. My hens will be 20 weeks old on Saturday but I'm thinking I won't get any eggs until spring if I don't provide a little supplemental light. I look forward to seeing what has worked for others as far as solar options.

3. gardengnomes

gardengnomes New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    The rope lights at home depot didn't look like a viable option after inspecting and I agree with the above comment about the quality. I am concerned about moisture even inside the coop with non-weather resistant lighting solutions. Our coop measures has two levels the upper level where the roosts are located is only about 36" tall. I need to make sure our hens can peck at the light source without hurting themselves.

Also have been reading about too much light causing behavior issues. Want to minimize pecking while they are roosting. Right now there is plenty of room for our birds and once they roost they are zoned out. With extra light I want to make sure they don't start squabbling for position on the roosts.

4. flyboy129

flyboy129 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    I use Indoor/outdoor rope lights inside my coop. However, I only have them on while I work inside after dark. Otherwise, they are turned off. The sad thing, is many products are imported from China/Mexico. Especially electrical products. I used to work in a building supply, and there were so few American products then, and probably fewer now. I used Fluorescent tube strip lights in my old coop. The bad thing, when the weather turns cooler, the starter on the fixture gets quirky.

5. NativeBeauty

NativeBeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Battle Creek, Michigan
    I used a thirteen watt CFL on my brooder light fixture and had fabulous egg production all winter long in my 16x20' coop.To me the light was dim, but perfect for the hens (and I didn't have feather plucking either once I adjusted my wattage to a CFL)...I do not have electricity in my coop, but run a heavy duty extension cord off my sun porch. Made "lights out" a lot easier, but will be adding a photo sensor timer to my light plan this winter.

6. gardengnomes

gardengnomes New Egg

Jun 7, 2012
    Thanks for the info. I think I will continue to run electrical to the coop then install outdoor light fixtures from home depot. If anyone has quality rope lights they would recommend I am still interested in that option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by